Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Ten Movies on an Island: Bette Davis


Bette Davis is a powerful force. Any time she is on the screen she dominates it. If she is in a film it instantly becomes a "Bette Davis Movie."

Davis is an actress that I came to relatively late, as in, she wasn't an actress of my childhood. When I became interested in her, I set out to watch as many of her films as I could. I watched The Petrified Forest, Jezebel, and Of Human Bondage, all which were touted to be great performances by her (the latter two especially). But I didn't really like them. I thought I liked Crawford better. Then I watched more Davis. And now it is safe to say I prefer her eyes over Crawford's shoulder pads ;)

Anyway, out of the 19 (is that it??) films of Bette's that I have seen so far, here are the ones that made the cut:
1. Jimmy the Gent (1934) - James Cagney
2. Dangerous (1935) - Franchot Tone
3. All This, and Heaven Too (1940) - Charles Boyer
4. The Bride Came C.O.D. (1941) - James Cagney
5. Now, Voyager (1942) - Paul Heinried, Gladys Cooper
6. A Stolen Life (1946) - Glenn Ford
7. June Bride (1948) - Robert Montgomery
8. Another Man's Poison (1951) - Gary Merrill
9. Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? (1962) - Joan Crawford
10. Dead Ringer (1964) - Peter Lawford, Karl Malden
Want to see: Dark Victory (1939), The Letter (19490), & Old Acquaintance (1943).

What are your favorite Davis films? Or do you prefer Crawford? Also, check out my post of Davis's television appearances.

1 comment:

  1. Dark Victory, The Letter, and The Great Lie. I like her and Joan.

    ReplyDelete