Saturday, January 29, 2022

Bette's Hats & Reviews: 20,000 Years in Sing Sing (1932)

Isn't this a cute photo?

Bette's final film of 1932, 20,000 Years in Sing Sing, was released on Christmas Eve (If I hadn't of had a slightly different schedule last month, I could have posted this in the same day!). She was excited for the opportunity to work with Spencer Tracy: 

I was in seventh heaven. He was one of my few actor idols... I was good as the moll and my notices made that clear (The Lonely Life, 135).

Probably one of the most hideous ensembles in the history of cinema. I don't even know what's going on here lol.

Also a very unusual hat, barely hanging on to one side of Bette's head and the other side obscured with a  huge bow.

Bette Davis does well as Fay.
~ The New York Times
Bette Davis is the convict’s moll who does him dirt in one breath and shoots to kill for him in another. She’s not particularly impressive here.
Bette Davis is touchingly wistful as his girl outside.
~ Larry Reid for Movie Classic Magazine, 1933


Two more looks at the texture of the hat.



Sources:

Davis, Bette. The Lonely Life: An Autobiography. G. P. Putnam's Sons, 1962.
Ringgold, Gene. Bette Davis: Her Films and Career. Citadel Press. 1966, 1985.

No comments:

Post a Comment