Sunday, October 31, 2021

Recycled Costume Roundup - October


Last month I shared costumes that were worn twice by the same actress in different films. I did not share the other two recycles I had noticed, so I will be sharing them today. I only noticed one other recycle at the beginning of the month so I had to try to find some more so this post wouldn't be too small ;)

~♥~♥~♥~

First up is Eleanor Parker in a cameo appearance for The Hollywood Canteen (1944) wearing Bette Davis' red butterfly cape from Now, Voyager (1942). 


Here are a couple of gifs of Davis that show the cape in action:



~♥~♥~♥~

I was looking through my screenshots for something else and stumbled across this recycle. The one on the left I took in 2018 and is worn by Frances Drake in The Affairs of Martha (1942). The one on the right is Laraine Day in Fingers at the Window (1942). I watched it in March of this year. I love the unique way this coat fastens!


~♥~♥~♥~

Here is a three-peat! This gold Adrian gown dazzled audiences when it was first worn by Joan Crawford in The Women (1939). It also appeared briefly on an extra in Sky Murder (1940) and thirdly on Carol Hughes in I'll Wait for You (1941). Who knew it was such a great dress to dance in!!


Check out that voluminous skirt! I would imagine it would take a great deal of energy to cause it to twirl so well, as it looks quite heavy. I wish I could have made a gif of it.


The skirt, top, and belt of the costume became separated. The top is part of the Gene London Hollywood Collection.

~♥~♥~♥~

We close the post with two Marsha Hunt related recycles ( the theme of this post seems to be Marsha Hunt and Laraine Day).

I recently purchased a copy of Hunt's book, "The Way We Wore: Styles of the 1930s and '40s and Our World Since Then." I had been wanting it for a long time, especially after watching her documentary Marsha Hunt's Sweet Adversity (2014) on TCM. But after it aired a LOT of people wanted it and the few copies available were out of my price range ($70+). So when I noticed a couple weeks ago that TCM was showing the documentary again I quickly checked Ebay and found a copy for $35 (combined with a sale that got me $10 off)! 

I started flipping through it to see if I noticed any recycles. When I got to this page I noticed the lace from this gown in The Human Comedy (1943) was very familiar...


A dinner dress to make any lady look lovelier is Irene's filmy white lace  
that goes over a pale nude crepe slip. Sheer white mousseline de soie 
cascades down the cutaway skirt to form a full underskirt; it ruffles softly 
at the wrists in quaint contrast to the sleek princess lines of the dress.


It was made with a remnant of lace left over from Norma Shearer's lace robe in Marie Antoinette (1938)!!! I wish I could tell Marsha. I feel like she would find that as interesting as I did!


This exquisite creation is still with us!

The lace has a floral and foliate pattern and is embellished with hand sewn artificial pearls and scattered celluloid sequins of varying sizes with scalloped edges. The cape is worn by the newlywed Marie Antoinette during the ceremonial blessing of the bed. Costume design by Adrian. Center Back length, 75 inches; Bottom width, approximately 313 inches. Winning bid $4,000.

I was then looking at photos of Laraine Day, to see if I could spot any more recycles and discovered that she wore the Hunt gown in a publicity photo! 

Does anyone know if this is from a film, and if so, which one?

The second recycle I noticed while looking through Hunt's book was this "creamy-white wool" jacket trimmed in black, worn by Hunt in Irene (1940).

Hunt describes the trim as "pagoda-like."

It was the same jacket worn in The Falcon in Hollywood (1944). Notice that the lapels have been modified: the points were removed and black and metallic (?) trim were added down the front. The buttons were changed from white to black. 


You can view Hunt's book for FREE on the Internet Archive, with an account. If you've never checked out the Internet Archive, it's a treasure trove for Classic Movie fans. You can look at the old copies of Photoplay magazine without an account (see my Movie Magazine Archives tab at the top of my blog). 

Be sure to check out August's roundup again. I found another wear of Olivia de Havilland's Government Girl gown!

2 comments:

  1. This is so fascinating. I almost never notice costume reuses, but I absolutely adore reading about them!

    And who wouldn't want to use that butterfly cape over and over? Wowsers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get so excited when I find one!

      Everyone needs a good cape ;)

      Delete