Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Movies I Watched in April

Never thought you'd see Ida Lupino dancing around in a nightie, did you?

I watched several lesser-known films this month, and was pleasantly surprised by some of them. I recorded several Melvyn Douglas films that were shown on TCM on his birthday (still haven't watched And So They Were Married which I am very excited to see. Sometimes I save those for a while). Two of the films I recorded had a different title in the credits than what was listed on the guide (why do they do that?). I only had a few re-watches this month, mostly more recent films (ones with an *).
  1. Christopher Strong (1933) - Katharine Hepburn
  2. Gabriel Over the White House (1933) - Walter Huston, Franchot Tone, Karen Morley
  3. Dangerous Corner (1935) - Melvyn Douglas, Virginia Bruce, Conrad Nagel
  4. Fast Company (1938) - Melvyn Douglas & Florence Rice
  5. Juarez (1939) - Paul Muni, Bette Davis, John Garfield, Brian Aherne
  6. Turnabout (1940) - Carole Landis, Adolphe Menjou, Mary Astor
  7. Tales of Manhattan (1942) - Charles Boyer & Rita Hayworth, Ginger Rogers & Henry Fonda, Charles Laughton, Edward G. Robinson, Rochester
  8. Mrs. Parkington (1944) - Greer Garson & Walter Pidgeon, Agnes Moorehead, Gladys Cooper 
  9. Pillow to Post (1945) - Ida Lupino, Sydney Greenstreet
  10. Easy to Wed (1946) - Van Johnson & Esther Williams, Lucille Ball, Keenan Wynn
  11. An Innocent Affair (1947) - Fred MacMurray & Madeleine Carroll (alternate title Don't Trust Your Husband)
  12. The Voice of the Turtle (1947) - Eleanor Parker & Ronald Reagan, Eve Arden (listed on guide under alternate title One for the Book)
  13. *The Robe (1953) - Richard Burton & Jean Simmons, Victor Mature
  14. Hush... Hush, Sweet Charlotte (1964) - Bette Davis, Olivia de Havilland, Agnes Moorehead, Joseph Cotten ... yes, I watched Feud ;)
  15. The Venetian Affair (1966) - Robert Vaughn, Ed Asner 
  16. Barefoot in the Park (1967) - Robert Redford & Jane Fonda, Charles Boyer, Mildred Natwick
  17. *Sense and Sensibility (1995) - Emma Thompson, Kate Winslet, Alan Rickman, Hugh Grant
  18. *Two Weeks Notice (2002) - Sandra Bullock & Hugh Grant
  19. Edge of Tomorrow (2014) - Tom Cruise & Emily Blunt
  20. * The Man from U.N.C.L.E. (2015) - Henry Cavill, Armie Hammer, Alicia Vikander, Hugh Grant
  21. The Martian (2015) - Matt Damon, Jessica Chastain, Jeff Daniels 
Favorite Film of the Month: Lots of fun little films this month but I finally got to see Barefoot in the Park, which I've been wanting to watch since reading Back To Golden Day's post. It lived up to my expectations. Loved Mildred Natwick!

Least Favorite: The Venetian Affair was pretty boring, especially at the beginning, but I finished it for Ed Asner. Christopher Strong was predictable and Juarez was long but I had to watch for John Garfield (hardly in it) and Bette Davis. I also found Easy to Wed tough to get through. Nobody can replace William Powell, Myrna Loy, and Jean Harlow!!

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed Pillow to Post and thought The Voice of the Turtle was sweet. The Man from UNCLE is one of my recent favorites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved Eve Arden in "The Voice..." I've watched The Man From UNCLE so many times already :) They are supposedly writing a sequel right now! I hope it's true!!

      Delete