Tuesday, September 14, 2021

Sunshine Blogger Award

Hamlette's Soliloquy was kind enough to nominate me for a sunshine blogger award recently so, without putting it off, here are the rules and the answers to her interesting questions :)

  1. List the rules
  2. Display the Official Logo in the post
  3. Thank the person who nominated you (thanks Rachel!)
  4. Link their blog
  5. Answer their questions
  6. Nominate up to 11 bloggers
  7. Ask them 11 questions
Here are my answers to Hamlette's questions:

1. What was your favorite movie when you were 10 years old? I loved The Wizard of Oz when I was little. My dad would call me whenever it came on TV.

2. What's your favorite movie now? I usually say White Christmas (1954) or - for a non-Christmas movie - Rio Grande (1950). If I'm talking to someone who doesn't know old movies, I say Rocky (1976). I have two Rocky t-shirts. 


3. What would be your dream cast for an adaptation of your favorite book? My favorite book has been Enemy Brothers by Constance Savory ever since I read it as a teen, but I have trouble imagining the characters as actors. Also, I would never want it made into a movie because Hollywood would ruin it lol. I took a long time to watch the Narnia movies because I didn't want to mess up the pictures in my head. I usually want to cast Henry Cavill as the love interest though. 


4. What's your favorite movie soundtrack? White Christmas (1954). Favorite song from the soundtrack (of which I had to make my own as there's no official version) is "The Best Things Happen While You're Dancing."


5. Do you have a favorite movie-watching snack? I typically eat a snack of some sort while watching the next episode of whatever TV show I'm currently watching but if we have ice cream in the house I'll have that. Lately it's been Lance White Cheddar crackers though because I'm getting hungry from starting my movie too late. Unfortunately it's too hard to eat cereal (hard to hear plus you have to keep adding more cereal or milk and a table is needed). 

6. Who is your favorite person to watch movies with? I watch most of them by myself so I can cry if I need to but otherwise my brothers. Nothing worse than trying to wipe away tears streaming down your face without anyone noticing!

Me (far right) and my siblings watching a movie in the 90s.

7. Is there a hairstyle in a movie that you've always wished you could pull off? Since I don't have thick luxurious hair I'm envious of most of them. I wish I could pull off Audrey Hepburn's Roman Holiday do.


8. What movie animal would you like as a pet? The puppy in The Three Lives of Thomasina (1963). It's so tiny and cute!


9. What movie house would you like to stay in on vacation? Probably the Christmas in Connecticut (1945) house. Then I would know what color everything was!


10. What's the oldest movie you've watched? The earliest one on my list that is over 45 minutes (my personal minimum running time requirement to be added to my movie list) is The Pilgrim (1923) by Charlie Chaplin. The first one over an hour long is Too Many Kisses (1925) starring Richard Dix and William Powell (it beats Chaplin's The Gold Rush (1925) - which was also the first silent movie I saw a part of - by a few months). 


11. What's the newest movie you've watched? Jungle Cruise (2021). It was such a fun film! Emily Blunt is my favorite current actress.


Instead of nominating anyone, I'm just going to ask some questions and whoever wants to answer them can do so, either on their blog (send me your link if you do!) or in the comments below.

Here are my questions:
  1. Did you watch more movies or less movies than normal last year?
  2. Latest movie star obsession:
  3. A black and white movie you wish was in color, or vice versa: 
  4. What is something else you are interested in (aside from old movies)?
  5. Something you’ve seen in an old movie you’ve always wanted to do or try:
  6. A fellow classic movie fan says that your favorite genre is their least favorite. What movie would you suggest to ease them in?
  7. What is YOUR least favorite film genre?
  8. Who would you cast as Nancy Drew or the Hardy Boys in a TV series (any decade)? 
  9. Have you ever gone out of your way while on vacation to see a movie location or movie star grave? If you do this often, what was the first one?
  10. Have you ever purchased an item because it was exact or similar to a movie prop?
  11. First TV show you remember watching?
I nominate YOU!

7 comments:

  1. I LOVE both White Christmas and Rocky :-) It's SO infuriating that there's no real WC soundtrack, isn't it? Urgh.

    I like to watch movies alone best too, for the first viewing. Otherwise it can be nervewracking trying not to react to things, as you say.

    I quite want to see Jungle Cruise, but my life has been just nuttily busy, and I guess I'll have to wait for DVD or Disney+ now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It s ridiculous the studios wouldn’t allow Clooney to make it. I think Jungle Cruise will be free on the app in November, so not too long a wait!

      Delete
  2. I love your questions, so giving them a go here :-)

    1. Did you watch more movies or less movies than normal last year?

    I watched way fewer movies in the theater, but about the same number overall as usual.


    2. Latest movie star obsession:

    Possibly Errol Flynn. I can't quite decide if he's actually an obsession or just someone whose movies I'm enjoying a lot.


    3. A black and white movie you wish was in color, or vice versa:

    Hmmm. Hmmmmmmm. Honestly, I can't think of any where I'm dissatisfied with their color or lack thereof! I'm just really happy the whole "colorization" fad for old movies is over. I used to actually turn our TV set's color balance way down to make a colorized classic be black-and-white again.


    4. What is something else you are interested in (aside from old movies)?

    History! I love learning about how people lived in times gone by. Old movies help with that ;-)


    5. Something you’ve seen in an old movie you’ve always wanted to do or try:

    I totally go around trying things I've seen in movies or read about in books. A lot. We made steak and kidney pie because of a TV show I watched as a kid. My husband learned to cook celery root because I always wanted to try it, thanks to the 1996 Emma. I spent my childhood yearning to know what artichoke was like because of a story in a Highlights for Kids magazine. So it's a little hard to think of something I haven't tried or done yet, based on a movie, but still want to! Hmm.

    Okay, I've got one, and your post here reminded me of it. I still have never danced on the bottom of an upturned boat they way Phil and Judy do in White Christmas.


    6. A fellow classic movie fan says that your favorite genre is their least favorite. What movie would you suggest to ease them in?

    This happens to me a lot because so many people turn their noses up at westerns. It depends on their reasons -- if they say westerns are too childish and simple, I tell them to try 3:10 to Yuma (1957). If they think westerns are boring, I suggesty they try The Magnificent Seven (1960). If they have the idea westerns generally focus on men, I tell them to try The Rare Breed (1966). And so on.


    7. What is YOUR least favorite film genre?

    I dislike horror, overall. Especially horror movies about madness or houses/objects that come alive.


    8. Who would you cast as Nancy Drew or the Hardy Boys in a TV series (any decade)?

    Oh, that's fun! Um, I think Juliet Mills would have been a lovely Nancy Drew. And James MacArthur and Tommy Kirk should have been Frank and Joe Hardy.


    9. Have you ever gone out of your way while on vacation to see a movie location or movie star grave? If you do this often, what was the first one?

    Yup! Now and then. Most recently, I visited John Wayne's birthplace in Winterset, Iowa. That was probably also the first such place I visited, back in the mid-1990s.


    10. Have you ever purchased an item because it was exact or similar to a movie prop?

    Of course! Doesn't everybody do that? I had a toy Winchester repeating rifle as a kid because of The Rifleman. And a toy Thompson M-1 machine gun because of Combat!. I have a lot of Star Trek things, like communicators and tricorders and phasers. Those are all TV shows, though, I guess. I bought a pair of earrings and a pair of sunglasses and a hat that all are similar to things Alicia Vikander wears in The Man from UNCLE. I have a hat that reminds me of Indiana Jones. My husband gave me an Evenstar necklace that is official Lord of the Rings merchandise. And so on!


    11. First TV show you remember watching?

    Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood. We watched that on PBS faithfully for years! Mr. Rogers taught me how to tie my shoes and how to whistle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost always enjoy a Flynn movie! Make sure you watch Never Say Goodbye and Footsteps in the Dark.

      I wish Marie Antoinette (1938) was filmed in color like it was originally intended because the costumes are stunning! Many are still in existence so we know the colors of them!

      I’m always reading about some new historical topic. Right now it’s the history of Pan Am and their role in WWII.

      Delete
    2. I wish I could learn the whole dance, but I have two left feet haha.

      Westerns definitely get a bad name. It’s so important to give them a chance and find one’s that you enjoy!

      I don’t like horror that involves kids or eyes lol.

      Great casting choices! Have you seen the Disney Hardy boys? I just thought today that David and Ricky Nelson would have been good aside from the wrong hair colors.

      I really want to go to JW’s birthplace. My friend went and it looked so cool.

      My brother bought a plastic sawed off shotgun like Mississippi in El Dorado when he was little. We have a juice glass the same as one on I Love Lucy.

      Delete
  3. The photo of you and your siblings is sweet. :) The "Christmas in Connecticut" house would be on my list of places to stay too. Other places would include Gull Cottage from "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir" (Yes please to the Rex Harrison ghost!)and the hotel room from "Paris When it Sizzles".

    While I've bought a few patterns because they were similar to movie costumes (this excludes several Hollywood patterns, which are the patterns for the costumes-interestingly, I have not yet seen the movies for the ones I bought), I tend to be more likely to spot items I have in movies and old tv shows. My grandparents had (and now me) the same syrup pitcher that they use in the earlier episodes of Bewitched!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love Gull cottage. Still haven’t seen Paris when it Sizzles!

      I would love to buy vintage patterns when I come across some they’re too expensive for me (and usually too small of a size). That’s so fun about the syrup pitcher!

      Delete