Monday, January 11, 2016

Bundle of Joy (1956): Favorite Dresses

Bundle of Joy (1956) is a remake of Bachelor Mother (1939) which starred Ginger Rogers, David Niven, and the ever delightful Charles Coburn. It's musical remake paired, for the first time, real-life married couple Debbie Reynolds and Eddie Fisher, with Adolph Menjou in Coburn's role. Personally, I like the original better than the remake, though the remake is good also - the musical numbers are a little corny (except this one):
 
"Lullaby in Blue"
 
This post is not going to be a synopsis of the movie. You can read it on the TCM website here. I just wanted to share some of the beautiful and chic costumes by Howard Shoup. I couldn't find any good color screenshots of them online so I had to take pictures of my tv (that mysterious shiny spot in the upper right corner is a window). Our first view of Debbie as she walks through the store (singing a "Good Morning" song of course):
 








 
This one was taken with the flash but I included it because you can see the detail a little better.

Without the flash. This is my favorite dress.




Matching coat to go over pink dress.


LOVE her friend's dress (Nita Talbot as Mary). It's such a gorgeous color!



I'm guessing she's holding a matching jacket.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment