Wednesday, December 1, 2021

Movies I Watched in November

Without Love (1945)

This month I finished my Downton Abbey rewatch. Then I started the 1985 sitcom 227. I caught an episode on tv once (I looked it up and turns out it was the series finale) and thought it looked like a good show. My brother signed up for a month of Prime and I was able to watch two seasons (out of five). I also watched The Gay Divorcee for the first time. I thought I had seen it and the trailer looked familiar but I couldn't find a record of when I watched it. I think I got it confused with The Divorcee (1930). I thought that big musical number would never end though.. I rewatched The Woman in White and read the book by Wilkie Collins. Very good! 

  1. *Anne of Green Gables (1934) - Anne Shirley, Tom Brown
  2. The Gay Divorcee (1934) - Fred Astaire & Ginger Rogers, Edward Everett Horton, Alice Brady
  3. High Flyers (1937) - Lupe Velez, Jack Carson, Marjorie Lord, Margaret Dumont 
  4. Crashing Hollywood (1938) - Jack Carson
  5. Accidents Will Happen (1938) - Ronald Reagan & Gloria Blondell
  6. Torchy Blane in Panama (1938) - Lola Lane, Paul Kelly
  7. This Marriage Business (1938) - Allan Lane, Jack Carson
  8. Panama Lady (1939) - Lucille Ball & Allan Lane
  9. The Marines Fly High (1940) - Richard Dix, Lucille Ball, Chester Morris
  10. The Golden Fleecing (1940) - Lew Ayres, Lloyd Nolan
  11. Anne of Windy Poplars (1940) - Anne Shirley, Henry Travers, Joan Carroll, Patric Knowles
  12. Seven Days Leave (1942) - Victor Mature & Lucille Ball 
  13. Best Foot Forward (1943) - Lucille Ball, Virginia Weidler, June Allyson, Gloria De Haven, Nancy Walker
  14. The Iron Major (1943) - Pat O’Brien & Ruth Warrick, Leon Ames, Robert Ryan
  15. A Canterbury Tale (1944) - John Sweet
  16. Without Love (1945) - Spencer Tracy & Katharine Hepburn, Lucille Ball, Keenan Wynn
  17. Johnny O’Clock (1947) - Dick Powell & Evelyn Keyes, Lee J. Cobb, Ellen Drew, Nina Foch, Thomas Gomez 
  18. *Miracle on 34th Street (1947) - Edmund Gwenn, Maureen O’Hara & John Payne, Natalie Wood
  19. *The Woman in White (1948) - Eleanor Parker, Gig Young, Alexis Smith, Sydney Greenstreet, Agnes Moorehead 
  20. Ladies of the Chorus (1949) - Marilyn Monroe 
  21. Strange Bargain (1949) - Jeffrey Lynn & Martha Scott, Harry Morgan (& the Murder, She Wrote episode)
  22. Arena (1953) - Gig Young, Harry Morgan, Jean Hagen
  23. Mr. Hobbs Takes a Vacation (1962) - James Stewart & Maureen O’Hara, Fabian, John Saxon
  24. Dear Heart (1964) - Glenn Ford & Geraldine Page, Angela Lansbury 
  25. The Getaway (1972) - Steve McQueen & Ali McGraw, Ben Johnson, Slim Pickens
  26. *Moonstruck (1987) - Cher & Nicholas Cage, Olympia Dukakis, 
  27. *The Proposal (2009) - Sandra Bullock & Ryan Reynolds, Betty White (I skipped the bad parts)
  28. Red Notice (2021) - Dwayne Johnson, Ryan Reynolds, Gal Gadot
King of Cool (2020) - Dean Martin

Robert Ryan in The Iron Major (1943)

Least Favorite Film: I really only watched Accidents Will Happen out of curiosity - to see Joan Blondell's sister, Gloria. Arena wasn’t that great. The Getaway would have been better if Slim Pickens had been made the third main character. He added a fun note to the end. I skipped the parts with the veterinarian husband and wife. I skipped through a lot of the musical numbers in Best Foot Forward.

Favorite Movie: I loved Anne of Windy Poplars (1940)! Even though they took some liberties with the story, I greatly enjoyed it. Book 4 of the Anne series was the first one I ever read and has always been my favorite. Joan Carroll was so cute as Betty. She broke my heart though. I didn't expect to cry so much near the end!! I wish it could have been longer than 80 minutes. Can you imagine if they had made an Anne mini-series with all the fantastic character actors from Hollywood’s Golden age?! 

Favorite Quote:

Nancy Walker in Best Foot Forward (1943).

NEXT MONTH there will not be the usual Recycled Costume Roundup
I have a special two-part post on the White Christmas (1954) costumes I saw on exhibit last January. There will also be a special Christmas with Bette Davis post instead of the usual Hats and Reviews post and no Cinema Wedding Gowns post. 

2 comments:

  1. Interesting mix of movies. It's funny how we don't get emotional whiplash from some of our viewing.

    Dear Heart, A Canterbury Tale, and Miracle on 34th Street are among my cherished favourites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely think that if I didn’t have TCM I would go through different movie phases and watch more similar films.

      I really liked A Canterbury Tale. It was so different and interesting!

      Delete