Tuesday, November 30, 2021

Recycled Costume Roundup - November

I have basically been watching more hour-long "B" movies lately in hopes of spotting recycled costumes. So far not too many but I have lots of screenshots in case they pop up in the future ;)

~♥~♥~♥~

Our first recycle today is a coat I first spotted earlier this year on Barbara Stanwyck in Breakfast for Two (1937). I took a screenshot of it just because it was interesting. I then spotted it again while skipping through Go Chase Yourself (1938) trying to find Jack Carson (I tried to watch the film but I could tell the lead was going to get on my nerves and, since Carson was uncredited as a radio announcer, I went looking for his scene only - he's one of the movie stars I try to watch everything of). I spotted the coat on a passenger on the train. The hats are different.

Notice the waistband.

~♥~♥~♥~

Once again browsing through my new Marsha Hunt book, I recognized another gown I had first seen on Barbara Hale The Falcon in Hollywood (1944). It was originally worn by Hunt in Irene (1940).

The gown was a "fairy-tale gown" designed by Edward Stevenson of "miles and miles tulle, black over flesh, to give an iridescence to this superb ball gown." On Hale the ruffles look a bit crushed from four years of storage and it seems sequins or some other sparkly element was added. It looks like it might have been shortened a tiny bit as well. 

 ~♥~♥~♥~

I've seen Pollyanna (1960) more times than I can count (not by choice - there was a time when I could't stand hearing it from another room) so when I saw this photo of Dorothy McGuire from Summer Magic (1963) I recognized the delicately crocheted top as the one worn by Jane Wyman in the earlier Disney film. McGuire wears it under a tan jacket in the film (I'm not sure if she takes it off). 


~♥~♥~♥~

Lastly, my sister was watching The Bells of St. Mary’s (1945) yesterday and I happened to recognize the striped suit worn by Martha Sleeper as Patsy's (Joan Carroll) mother. It was worn twice by Madge Meredith in 1946, as I shared in my August Roundup.


Note how the diagonal stripes continue on the skirt.
~♥~♥~♥~
Not a costume but I happened to watch two movies back-to-back that used the same mansion interior:


No comments:

Post a Comment