Thursday, February 1, 2018

Movies I Watched in January


I think it’s safe to say Charles Boyer, TCM’s Star of the Month for January, will be one of my most watched stars of the year. I watched six movies and have one waiting on the dvr with 11 months in the year left to go.


While not really a Stewart Granger fan, I watched the three films he made with Deborah Kerr. Kerr is becoming a favorite and I look forward to watching more of her films throughout the year. I've also made a good start on more Robert Ryan films, my current obsession.

This is what I watched, almost all of them via WatchTCM:
  1. Mata Hari (1932) - Greta Garbo & Ramon Navarro, Lionel Barrymore, Lewis Stone
  2. Secrets of the French Police (1932) - Gwili Andre, Frank Morgan (I was pretty horrified/nauseated with one scene - it's easy to spot)
  3. Rockabye (1932) - Constance Bennett & Joel McCrea
  4. Break of Hearts (1934) - Charles Boyer & Katharine Hepburn 
  5. Parnell (1937) - Clark Gable & Myrna Loy
  6. Algiers (1938) - Charles Boyer & Hedy Lamarr
  7. Comrade X (1940) - Clark Gable & Hedy Lamarr 
  8. *It’s a Date (1940) - Deanna Durbin, Kay Francis, Walter Pidgeon
  9. Nine Lives are Not Enough (1941) - Ronald Reagan 
  10. Army Surgeon (1942) - Jane Wyatt 
  11. Rings On Her Fingers (1942) - Gene Tierney & Henry Fonda
  12. The Human Comedy (1943) - Mickey Rooney, Frank Morgan, Van Johnson, James Craig, Marsha Hunt, Fay Bainter, Donna Reed
  13. *Laura (1944) - Gene Tierney & Dana Andrews, Clifton Webb, Vincent Price, Judith Anderson
  14. Kismet (1944) - Ronald Colman & Marlene Dietrich 
  15. Together Again (1944) - Irene Dunne & Charles Boyer, Charles Coburn
  16. The Hidden Eye (1945) - Edward Arnold
  17. Cluny Brown (1946) - Jennifer Jones & Charles Boyer
  18. The Beast with Five Fingers (1946) - Robert Alda, Peter Lorre
  19. The Woman on the Beach (1947) - Robert Ryan & Joan Bennett, Charles Bickford
  20. The Romance of Rosy Ridge (1947) - Van Johnson & Janet Leigh, Thomas Mitchell
  21. The Adventures of Don Juan (1948) - Errol Flynn & Viveca, Alan Hale
  22. The Boy with Green Hair (1948) - Robert Ryan, Pat O'Brien, Dean Stockwell
  23. *Act of Violence (1949) - Van Heflin & Janet Leigh, Robert Ryan, Mary Astor, Phyllis Thaxter
  24. *Father is a Bachelor (1950) - William Holden & Coleen Gray
  25. King Solomon’s Mines (1950) - Stewart Granger & Deborah Kerr
  26. In a Lonely Place (1950) - Humphrey Bogart & Gloria Grahame
  27. Payment on Demand (1951) - Bette Davis (missed second half)
  28. This Woman is Dangerous (1952) - Joan Crawford & Dennis Morgan
  29. The Happy Time (1952) - Charles Boyer, Louis Jourdan, Marsha Hunt, Bobby Driscoll
  30. The Prisoner of Zenda (1952) - Stewart Granger & Deborah Kerr, James Mason
  31. Young Bess (1953) - Jean Simmons, Stewart Granger, Deborah Kerr, Charles Laughton
  32. Inferno (1953) - Robert Ryan, Rhonda Fleming
  33. The Earrings of Madame De... (1953) - Charles Boyer & Danielle Darrieux (French)
  34. Back From Eternity (1956) - Robert Ryan, Anita Ekberg (remake of Five Came Back)
  35. Oceans 11 (1960) - Frank Sinatra, Peter Lawford, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis Jr., Joey Bishop, Angie Dickinson 
  36. Follow the Boys (1963) - Connie Francis, Paula Prentiss, Janis Paige, Richard Long
  37. I’ll Take Sweden (1965) - Bob Hope, Tuesday Weld, Dina Merrill, Frankie Avalon
  38. Triple Cross (1966) - Christopher Plummer & Romy Schneider 
  39. Christmas Encore (2017) - Maggie Lawson (from the TV show Psych)
  40. Wonder Woman (2017) - Gal Gadot & Chris Pine, Robin Wright
Least Favorite Film: Mata Hari and Algiers didn't really capture my interest but I feel like they are somewhat essentials to the serious Classic Movie Fan. You may recall I had watched the first half of Kismet a month or two ago but didn't finish it. It came on TCM again so I did. If you're interested in seeing Marlene Dietrich with gold painted legs than that's the movie for you.

Rings on Her Fingers. This gif is what made me want to watch the movie.

Favorite Film: Rings on Her Fingers is a must-see gem, as is Cluny Brown which EVERYBODY seemed to be recommending. I absolutely loved the ending - "I'll write a sequel!" The Human Comedy made me cry at the end and it was nice to see Mickey Rooney in a serious role. Together Again was pretty cute and had a lovely house set, not to mention the always funny Charles Coburn. And of course I greatly enjoyed Robert Ryan's performance in Inferno. I also ended up watching Act of Violence again, even though I just watched it last month, because it's so darn good!! I took a ton of screenshots, as one does when watching a Noir. You can see them all on my blog facebook page - I share mostly screenshots on there that will hopefully make their way into future posts.

Cluny Brown

6 comments:

  1. You certainly had a grand start to the year!

    I'm a big Rings on Her Fingers fan after seeing it for the first time last month. Where has it been all my life?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right!! It’s amazing how such great movies sort of get lost with time when they’re just as good as ones that everyone’s heard about!

      Delete
  2. I watched Rings on Her Fingers for the second time this month. It's a fun little movie. I also watched Triple Cross and The Romance of Rosy Ridge for the first time. I was surprised to realize how many Charles Boyer films I had already seen, but I did enjoy seeing him in La/Une Parisienne for the first time with Bridgette Bardot. It was such a cute little French screwball comedy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven’t seen that one but I do love me a screwball Comedy so I’ll keep an eye out for it!

      Delete
  3. Looks like you had a great month!

    That version of Ocean's Eleven is my favorite.
    My sister saw Wonder Woman when it came out, but I haven't yet.
    My favorite movie I saw this month was Bringing Up Baby, it was hilarious!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bringing up Baby is one of my top ten movies. Everything about it is perfect :)

      Delete