Monday, May 29, 2023

Movies I Watched in April

It looks like I didn’t watch a lot of movies this month, but I rewatched The Hobbit and LOTR films - the extended versions. So those six movies were really like watching twelve movies lol. I haven’t seen the LOTR films in probably a decade and, whenever I saw them it was because I was with other people watching them (pretty sure the first time was on a college bus trip). I’ve seen the first one for sure twice (I was at a sleepover and all the girls - except me - were obsessed with Elijah Wood). I wasn’t much on the films at the time - too many ugly/creepy characters. And, while I still don’t like ugly/creepy characters (Gollum creeps me out so much I cover his face with my hand most of the time), I definitely liked the films waaay better this time around (a big part being Aragorn lol). It also got me to finally reread the book (I read both The Hobbit and LOTR long before seeing the films). 

* indicates a rewatch

    1. A Lady Takes a Chance (1943) - Jean Arthur & John Wayne, Charles Winninger
    2. Casanova’s Big Night (1954) - Bob Hope & Joan Fontaine, Audrey Dalton, Basil Rathbone, Vincent Price
    3. Island in the Sun (1957) - Harry Belafonte, James Mason, Joan Fontaine, Joan Collins, 
    4. *Until They Sail (1957) - Jean Simmons & Paul Newman, Joan Fontaine, Piper Laurie, Sandra Dee
    5. *Airplane! (1980) - Robert Hayes & Julie Hagarty, Leslie Neilson, Lloyd Bridges, Robert Stack
    6. *Baby Boom (198) - Diane Keaton & Sam Shephard
    7. *Speed (1994) - Keanu Reeves & Sandra Bullock, Dennis Hopper, Jeff Daniels
    8. *The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001) - Elijah Wood, Sean Astin, Ian McKellan, Viggo Mortenson, Billy Boyd, Dominic Monaghan, Sean Bean, Orlando Bloom, John Rhys-Davies, Christopher Lee, Cate Blanchett, Liv Tyler, etc.
    9. *The LOTR: The Two Towers (2002) - above cast plus Karl Urban, Miranda Otto, Bernard Hill
    10. *The LOTR: The Return of the King (2003) - above cast
    11. *The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012) - Martin Freeman, Ian McKellan, Richard Armitage, Cate Blanchett, Orlando Bloom, etc.
    12. *The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (2013) - above cast plus Luke Evans
    13. *The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (2014) - above cast
    Least Favorite Film: No bad movies this month!

    Favorite Movie: I only watched three new to me films. A Lady Takes a Chance was really funny. It was kind of weird seeing John Wayne in it but he worked and had surprisingly good chemistry with Jean Arthur. And of course Bob Hope always makes me laugh. Spotted a couple of recycled gowns from Marie Antoinette (1938)!

    Favorite Line: “Women are like socks, they should be changed regularly.” Charles Winninger in A Lady takes a Chance.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment