Saturday, August 28, 2021

Bette's Hats and Reviews: The Man Who Played God (1932)

I have no idea if these were the true colors of the hat, but it's interesting to see nonetheless.

It was early 1932 and Bette Davis thought her Hollywood career was over. Then a miracle happened. Esteemed actor Mr. George Arliss literally played God with Davis and threw her a lifeline, offering her an important part in his next picture, The Man Who Played God

Davis recounts the astounding and funny moment in her book The Lonely Life (she devotes over four pages to it):

The day before we were to board our train, our phone rang. Ruthie [her mother] answered. I heard her say, "George who? Arliss? Bette, it's for you - it's George Arliss." 

As I went to the phone I wondered which friend was ribbing me and very elegantly I said to the supposed George Arliss - in a very broad British accent - "Yes, Mr. Arliss, and what can I do for you?" 

A beautiful English voice slightly taken aback said, "Is this Miss Bette Davis? This is Mr. George Arliss." 

"Of course," I answered, "and how are you, old boy?" - never dreaming I was really talking to George Arliss himself. 

Finally he managed to get through to me that he was for real - that a Murray Kinnell who was in The Menace with me had suggested my name as a possibility for a part in his next picture. He wondered if I could be a Warner Brothers at 3 o'clock that afternoon. That was in two hours. Could I be - try and stop me! The sky was blue again. The grass was green. An Arliss picture! I wouldn't have to return to New York a failure (119)!

This truly was the chance of a lifetime for a young actress, and the enormity of it was not lost on Bette. "To be in one of his pictures not only put one on the map, but in a dignified way." After a short meeting - "Universal had asked to see my legs. Mr. Arliss was examining my soul" - the part was hers. 

I was too stunned to move. I finally found my voice, thanked him, which was the understatement of the century, and got out of the office without falling in a dead faint...by the time I got to the wardrobe department I couldn't control myself any longer. I started literally jumping up and down and screaming, "I can't believe it! I can't believe it!" 

For the first time care was taken with me by the makeup man, the hairdresser and the wardrobe department. What a difference this can make (121). 

The critics couldn't understand the change that had come over me. It was awfully simple. I had a good part with a fine cast, a fine production, and my makeup and clothes and camerawork were the best (123).
I love the texture of this hat.


This was noticed in the movie magazine Silver Screen, in their "Fired and Hired" article: 
Bette Davis was under contract to Universal, but she was released with the explanation that she did not photograph well and showed no particular ability as an actress. She was at once taken up by Warner Brothers and in The Man Who Played God she gave a fine dramatic performance opposite George Arliss, and critics compared her beauty to that of Constance Bennett (July 1932, page 56). 
In their personal review of the film they said "Bette Davis is the girl, and is good."


The outfit that goes with the white crocheted hat:

Photoplay May 1932

Another favorably review was that of Weekly Variety, which complimented the young actress: 
Bette Davis, the ingénue, is a vision of wide-eyed blonde beauty.

Motion Picture Magazine had this to say about the her performance:

What is, however, unexpected about the picture, in addition to its ingenious plot, is Bette Davis' earnest and intense portrayal of the idol-worshipping girl which makes her suddenly an actress to be reckoned with.


One of the negative reviews was by Mordaunt Halls of The New York Times who complained that she "often speaks too rapidly for the microphone."


However, it was the words said by Mr. Arliss upon completion of the film that Bette recalled with pride. "My dear. Not even I saw all the dimensions you gave to Grace. Thank you!"


If you would like to see more screenshots of the hats and more of Bette's costumes I have an album on my blog Facebook page. You do not need an account to view it. You can watch the film here.

Sources:
Davis, Bette. The Lonely Life: An Autobiography. G. P. Putnam's Sons, 1962.
Ringgold, Gene. Bette Davis: Her Films and Career. Citadel Press. 1966, 1985.
Silver Screen Magazine

2 comments:

  1. What a cool story about second chances! Also, that first hat is definitely my favorite, but several of them are things I would wear.

    BTW, I nominated you for the Sunshine Award here today :-) Play if you want to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m really enjoying looking at her early career. I can’t wait to get to her forties hats though!

      Thanks!! I have a blogathon post due next week so I’ll get to it after that :)

      Delete