Saturday, May 1, 2021

Movies I Watched in April

Apparently it was 90s month! I watched eight 90s movies and the first two seasons of The Nanny (1993-1999). I used to ask my dad to put it on when I was a kid (I loved Fran's lipstick and heels - my favorite tee-shirt had fish wearing lipstick on it and I planned on wearing red lipstick and red nail polish every day when I grew up lol). 

I finally watched In the Heat of the Night. I had put it off because I knew it would make me angry (it did). I also watched The Preacher's Wife, which is a remake of The Bishop's Wife. It was really good but not quite as developed as the original because there was more time spent on singing. I also watched my first Ozu/Japanese film!!! The imagery is just incredible.

  1. Smilin’ Through (1932) - Norma Shearer, Leslie Howard, Fredric March
  2. *One Way Passage (1932) - William Powell & Kay Francis, Frank McHugh
  3. The Son of Kong (1933) - Robert Armstrong & Helen Mack 
  4. The Merry Widow (1934) - Maurice Chevalier & Jeanette MacDonald
  5. Billy the Kid (1941) - Robert Taylor, Brian Donlevy, Ian Hunter
  6. Lady Be Good (1941) - Robert Young & Ann Sothern, Eleanor Powell, John Carroll, Red Skelton, Virginia O’Brien
  7. Stand by for Action (1942) - Charles Laughton, Robert Taylor, Brian Donlevy, Walter Brennan
  8. *The Enchanted Cottage (1945) - Dorothy McGuire & Robert Young, Herbert Marshall, Mildred Natwick, Spring Byington
  9. Late Spring (1949-Japanese) - Setsuko Hara, Chishu Ryu, Yumeji Tsukioka
  10. Our Very Own (1950) - Ann Blyth & Farley Granger, Jane Wyatt, Natalie Wood
  11. The FBI Story (1959) - James Stewart & Vera Miles
  12. *A Hard Day’s Night (1964) - The Beatles, Wilfrid Brambell
  13. In the Heat of the Night (1967) - Sidney Poitier, Rod Steiger
  14. The Natural (1984) - Robert Redford, Robert Duvall 
  15. *When Harry Met Sally (1989) - Billy Crystal & Meg Ryan, Carrie Fisher
  16. Pretty Woman (1990) - Julia Roberts & Richard Gere, Jason Alexander
  17. Sneakers (1992) - Robert Redford, Sidney Poitier, Dan Ackroyd, River Phoenix
  18. Forever Young (1992) - Mel Gibson, Elijah Wood, Jamie Lee Curtis
  19. The Bodyguard (1992) - Kevin Costner & Whitney Houston 
  20. The Preacher’s Wife (1996) - Denzel Washington, Whitney Houston, Courtney B. Vance
  21. *Conspiracy Theory (1997) - Mel Gibson & Julia Roberts, Patrick Stewart 
  22. *You’ve Got Mail (1998) - Tom Hanks & Meg Ryan
  23. Runaway Bride (1999) - Julia Roberts & Richard Gere
  24. Hardball (2001) - Keanu Reeves & Diane Lane
  25. *Downton Abbey (2019) - Maggie Smith, etc.
Least Favorite Movie: Well... The Son of Kong was as lame as I had expected King Kong to be (and was surprisingly proved wrong). I was uncomfortable with some parts of Pretty Woman and, while I wanted to love the love story, I couldn't forget that he let her be what she was at the beginning. 

Favorite Film: Smilin' Through was really sweet (aka I cried). I loved The Bodyguard too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment