Sunday, December 30, 2018

ANNOUNCING the First Annual Valentine’s Day “Meet-Cute” Blogathon!


One of my favorite feel-good modern romantic comedies is The Holiday (2006). I initially watched it for Jude Law but came away from the film loving the story between Iris (Kate Winslet) and Arthur (played by the adorable Eli Wallach). There is a scene in the movie where Iris meets Arthur for the first time and he explains what a "meet-cute" is. Watch the sweet scene below:


I always wondered whether the film he describes existed and so was very excited when TCM aired a film called Blackbeard's Eighth Wife (1938) in which two people meet while purchasing pajamas (It's switched in the movie though - Cooper buys the top and Colbert the bottom). Unfortunately the scene is only on YouTube in Spanish.


I even liked Jack Black in this movie!

Anyway, this film gave me the idea for this blogathon and I thought, what better day to host this than on Valentine's Day! And, since there are unlimited films to choose from, I have decided to make it an annual event (hopefully lots of you will sign up). Films from any era will be allowed (and I guess if you really want to do a TV show that would be okay too) but since there are so many films featuring "meet-cutes" I ask that there be no duplicates. Please comment with your film choice and LINK TO YOUR BLOG and grab one of the banners below to advertise!! Looking forward to seeing what everyone picks!




ROSTER:

Phyllis Loves Classic Movies: Summertime (1955)

Caftan Woman: Support Your Local Sheriff (1969)

Movies Meet Their Match: Singing in the Rain (1952)

Cinematic ScribblingsMarriage Italian Style (1964)

The Midnite Drive-In: Urban Cowboy (1980)

The Story Enthusiast: Top Five Meet-Cutes

It Came From the Man Cave: The Big Sick (2017)

Realweegiemidget Reviews: Favorite Meet-Cute Moments

Musings of a Classic Film Addict: The Big Sleep (1946)

Critica Retro: Sunday in New York (1963)

Overture Books and Films: They All Laughed (1980)

In the Good Old Days of Classic Hollywood: Bogie and Bacall Meet-Cutes

The Stop Button: Primrose Path (1940)
 
Screen Dreams: Bringing Up Baby (1938)
 
The Flapper Dame: Easy Living (1937)
 
Whimsically Classic: That Funny Feeling (1965)


If you have trouble commenting you can DM me on twitter (@solidmoonlight) or send me an email (solidmoonlight@gmail.com).

39 comments:

  1. Great idea! I've kind of doubled up on blogathons around that date, but I cannot resist. Will get back to you with topic (head is buzzing). Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I don't even know what to do for this! I'll have to think about it, but I do want to participate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm back! The buzzing in my head settled on "When Jason Met Prudy", more generally known as 1969s "Support Your Local Sheriff!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Could I write about the (rather perverse) meet-cute in Marriage Italian Style? My blog is Cinematic Scribblings: https://cinematicscribblings.wordpress.com/ Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe I'm not going oddball choice this time. Somebody just shoot me... But I'm going with "Urban Cowboy"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely LOVE this idea! I can't wait to read everyone's entries. I'll be thinking about mine and get back to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can I do a list of my top five favorite classic film meet cutes?

      Delete
  7. Such great fun I'm in been looking for a reason to watch the "Big Sick"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah my link to the blog www.mda4life.blogspot.com

      Delete
  8. Oops. I forgot to link up on my request to contribute Support Your Local Sheriff! Here we go: https://www.caftanwoman.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like Caftan Woman kinda got my and another blogathon then, but fantastic idea and now got my thinking hat on....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant to announce sooner and then everybody else seemed to like that weekend too lol.

      Delete
  10. Can you add me with 4 or 5 Meet Cute Movies with John Cusack... thanks from Gill at Realweegiemidget Reviews https://weegiemidget.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a fantastic idea for a blogathon! If it counts, could you sign me up for the scene in The Big Sleep (1946) with Phillip Marlowe and the bookstore owner? I'll be writing for Musings of a Classic Film Addict!

    https://musingsofaclassicfilmaddict.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds so interesting! I want to write about Sunday in New York (1963), please!
    Kisses!
    Le from Critica Retro (www.criticaretro.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a great idea for a blogathon! Can I do a post on They all laughed from 1980? Tis is the link to my blog https://www.overturebooksandfilm.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, nuts. This is the same time as my We Love Shakespeare Week shindig, so I'm going to have to pass cuz I've got stuff planned for that day already. But I'll pop over and read people's posts when I get a chance, cuz this sounds super cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a popular weekend but I was afraid if I didn't start this year it my never happen.

      Delete
  15. Found so many good choices when looking into this . can >I change to my Favourite Meet Cute moments... from Gill at Realweegiemidget Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  16. can I do Primrose Path for the Stop Button? I can't remember hwo they met but I'm sure it was cute. It's Ginger Rogers and Joel McCrea. It couldn't not be.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this idea! Can I write about Katherine Hepburn and Cary Grant in Bringing Up Baby (1938) please?
    I'm at screendreams.net

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi there, here's my post for the blogathon. Sorry wee bit early but so many blogathons this week - and writing it has inspired me for next years post... https://weegiemidget.wordpress.com/character/meet-cute-moments/

    thanks from Gill at Realweegiemidget Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  19. Can I do "That Funny Feeling" (1965) with Sandra Dee and Bobby Darin?

    Whimsically Classic
    https://whimsicallyclassic.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Okay, I've decided on Singin' in the Rain (1952). Sorry that this took me so long to decide!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Here's my entry for The Big Sleep (1946)! Thanks for hosting, this was a fun one to write for sure!

    https://musingsofaclassicfilmaddict.com/2019/02/14/the-first-annual-valentines-day-meet-cute-blogathon-the-big-sleep-1946/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Here is my entry for "That Funny Feeling"

    https://whimsicallyclassic.wordpress.com/2019/02/14/the-first-annual-valentines-day-meet-cute-blogathon-that-funny-feeling-1965/

    Kayla (Whimsically Classic)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm so sorry I missed this, unfortunately I have been under the weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That8s fine. Hope you’re all better now! There’s always next year ;)

      Delete