Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Movies I Watched in November

William Powell in Too Many Kisses (1925)

This month I started watching The Donna Reed Show (free with ads on IMDb TV - watched half of season 1 with my aunt last year) and season 4 of The Crown

  1. Too Many Kisses (1925) - Richard Dix, William Powell, Harpo Marx
  2. A Successful Calamity (1932) - George Arliss & Mary Astor
  3. Penthouse (1933) - Warner Baxter & Myrna Loy, Mae Clarke
  4. The Vampire Bat (1933) - Melvyn Douglas & Fay Ray, Lionel Atwill 
  5. *The Smiling Ghost (1941) - Wayne Morris, Brenda Marshall, Alexis Smith, Willie Best, Alan Hale
  6. *Whistling in the Dark (1941) - Red Skelton, Conrad Veidt, Ann Rutherford, Virginia Grey, Rags Ragland, Eve Arden
  7. Whistling in Dixie (1942) - Red Skelton & Ann Rutherford, Diana Lewis
  8. The Magnificent Ambersons (1942) - Joseph Cotten, Tim Holt, Anne Baxter, Agnes Moorehead 
  9. *Ball of Fire (1942) - Gary Cooper & Barbara Stanwyck, Dana Andrews, S.Z. Sakall, Henry Travers
  10. Whistling in Brooklyn (1943) - Red Skelton & Ann Rutherford, Rags Ragland, William Frawley
  11. The White Cliffs of Dover (1944) - Irene Dunne & Alan Marshall, Gladys Cooper, Frank Morgan, C. Aubrey Smith, Roddy McDowell, Elizabeth Taylor, Peter Lawford, Van Johnson
  12. Mr. Skeffington (1944) - Bette Davis & Claude Rains
  13. Two O’Clock Courage (1945) - Tom Conway & Ann Rutherford 
  14. *It’s a Wonderful Life (1946) - James Stewart & Donna Reed, Henry Travers, Thomas Mitchell,  Gloria Graham, Beulah Bondi, Ward Bond
  15. Deception (1946) - Bette Davis & Paul Henreid, Claude Rains 
  16. Dead Reckoning (1947) - Humphrey Bogart & Lizabeth Scott
  17. *Miracle on 34th Street (1947) - Edmund Gwenn, Maureen O’Hara & John Payne, Natalie Wood
  18. *Red River (1948) - John Wayne, Montgomery Clift & Joanne Dru, Walter Brennan, John Ireland, Harry Carey, Harry Carey Jr.
  19. The Woman on Pier 13 (1950) - Robert Ryan & Lorraine Day, John Agar
  20. Harriet Craig (1950) - Joan Crawford & Wendell Corey
  21. *Mara Maru (1952) - Errol Flynn & Ruth Roman, Raymond Burr 
  22. Top Secret Affair (1957) - Kirk Douglas & Susan Hayward, Jim Backus  
  23. Good Day for a Hanging (1959) - Fred MacMurray, Robert Vaughn, Joan Blackman
  24. The Great Impostor (1960) - Tony Curtis, Karl Malden, Gary Merrill, Edmund O’Brien, Joan Blackman 
  25. G. I. Blues (1960) - Elvis Presley & Juliet Prowse
  26. The Candidate (1972) - Robert Redford, Peter Boyle, Melvyn Douglas 
  27. Running on Empty (1988) - River Phoenix & Martha Plimpton
  28. Dogfight (1991) - River Phoenix & Lili Taylor
Robert Ryan in The Woman on Pier 13 (1950)

Least Favorite Film: For some reason I didn't really like The Candidate. Nothing wrong with it, just worn out hearing about politics I guess. 

Favorite Movie: It's been a few years since I watched Red River and I felt like I got more out of it this time. I also read the book by Borden Chase. I loved G. I. Blues, especially this song...

Song starts at 1:20

5 comments:

  1. Coincidence time!
    I recently wrote about My Favorite Brunette and its screenwriter Edmund Beloin received a WGA nomination for G.I. Blues. Thanks for the link to the song. I'd forgotten how sweet it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, it's getting to that time of year to rewatch all of the Christmas favorites! I definitely want to make time this year for the two that you listed. Too Many Kisses looks like it could be fun, so I might try to see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We still have lots to go through! Since we weren’t going anywhere for Thanksgiving (we did a food swap this year) we were able to watch Miracle on 34th St. that night.

      I posted more screenshots of Powell on my blog Facebook page (click on that Carole Lombard photo near the top right). I wasn’t sure what to expect but I really enjoyed it!

      Delete
  3. I like the Donna Reed Show. :)

    I was disappointed with The Magnificent Ambersons when I watched it (absolutely love the book!), but later I found out it was edited without Welles being involved, so it ended up different than originally intended. Really wish we still had the unedited version!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven’t read the book yet! Yeah, it’s always disappointing when the directors vision isn’t honored. If I could go back in time I’d visit the “cutting room floor” ;)

      Delete