Monday, May 20, 2019

Movies I Watched in April


Seasons 1-5 of Murder, She Wrote starring Angela Lansbury are on Amazon Prime!!! I had watched the first season on Netflix a couple years ago and then they removed it. Hopefully Prime will add the rest of the seasons eventually!
  1. Sunnyside (1919) - Charlie Chaplin
  2. The Working Man (1933) - George Arliss, Bette Davis
  3. The White Sister (1933) - Helen Hayes & Clark Gable, Lewis Stone
  4. Riptide (1934) - Norma Shearer, Herbert Marshall, Robert Montgomery
  5. Big City (1937) - Spencer Tracy & Luise Rainer
  6. Maid's Night Out (1938) - Joan Fontaine & Allan Lane (voice of Mr. Ed!)
  7. Too Many Girls (1940) - Lucille Ball, Desi Arnaz, Ann Miller
  8. Niagara Falls (1941) - Tom Brown, Zasu Pitts
  9. I Know Where I'm Going (1945) - Wendy Hiller & Roger Livesey, Pamela Brown, Petula Clark
  10. Thrill of a Romance (1945) - Esther Williams & Van Johnson
  11. Payment on Demand (1951) - Bette Davis
  12. 99 River Street (1953) - John Payne & Evelyn Keyes 
  13. *South Pacific (1958) - Rossano Brazzi & Mitzi Gaynor, John Kerr, Juanita Hall
  14. *Where the Boys Are (1960) - Dolores Hart & George Hamilton, Yvette Mimieux, Jim Hutton & Paula Prentiss, Connie Francis
  15. Murder Most Foul (1964) - Margaret Rutherford
  16. Jack of Diamonds (1967) - George Hamilton & Marie Laforet, Joseph Cotten, Maurice Evans
  17. My Bodyguard (1980) - Adam Baldwin
  18. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012) - Martin Freeman, Ian McKellan, Richard Armitage 
  19. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (2013) - Martin Freeman, Ian McKellan, Richard Armitage
  20. The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (2014) - Martin Freeman, Ian McKellan, Richard Armitage, Luke Evans
  21. *Psych the Movie (2017) - James Roday, Dule Hill, Maggie Lawson, Kirsten Nelson, Zachary Levi, John Cena
Least Favorite Movie: Big City, but only because I don't like Spencer Tracy and the storyline made me angry. I only watched it because when Luise Rainer died TCM showed most of her films and so now I only have three more of her Classic Hollywood era films to watch (Escapade, The Good Earth, and Hostages - she has some TV guest spots and movies to but I'm not worrying about those).

Favorite Movie: I really loved I Know Where I'm Going. It was a delightful movie! You can find it on youtube. It supposedly influenced Leap Year starring Amy Adams, which is a cute movie.


After watching The White Sister (1933), I really want to seek out more Helen Hayes films. She reminded me of Claudette Colbert but without the above everyone attitude.

It was so fun to see Lucy and Desi meet in Too Many Girls (1940). You can watch the scene here. And I love how they gave Desi the spotlight on the finale number where we got to see his bongo drum skills. And it was fun to spot Van Johnson in his first uncredited on-screen role. He was front and center in several scenes!
 
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
 
I finally watched The Hobbit films. I don't like the LOTR films (Gollum creeps me out so much I look away most of the time). I was against the Hobbit films because I didn't like the way the dwarves looked. My dad has a copy of the book with illustrations from the 70s animated version and so that is how I see The Hobbit. But I was in the mood for a fantasy world film and my brother had them so we watched them. They were very enjoyable! Watching them also made me FINALLY reread the book, which I've only read all the way through once. I was happy they didn't stray too far from the text.
 
 
I started back up watching Chuck (2007-2012), which my cousin introduced to me last July, and am currently crushing on Adam Baldwin, who plays John Casey (don't judge me). Anyway, I watched his very first film, My Bodyguard (1980). It had a really good message and was heartbreaking/heartwarming. 

7 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm so happy you liked the Hobbit movies! I adore them. Now I just want to watch them all over again :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you read the movie guides? I love learning behind the scenes stuff and I was happy to find out that some of the stuff they added was also from Tolkien's writings.

      Delete
    2. I have flipped through them, but not read them straight through. But yes, much of what they "added" was drawn from his writings, like facing down the Necromancer and so on.

      I really liked that they gave the story a central antagonist in Azog because it made the story so much more cohesive, imho. Although I adore LOTR (just finished my 8th read-thru), I don't care much for the book The Hobbit and actually prefer the movies to it :-o

      Delete
  2. I've only seen the whole of the third Hobbit movie. That was before I read the book (which is one of my favorites), so I was really, really, confused. But, the bits that I have seen from the first one are fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how I am with the Lord of the Rings films. I've seen the first one twice and parts of the second and third ones. Gollum creeps me out so I'm not keen to ever really watch them all the way through.

      Delete
  3. I Know Where I'm Going! has the best punchline in movie history. It continually draws me into its world.

    I like Spencer Tracy, but I don't see how anyone could like Big City. That is one frustrating movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved it so much!

      Haha I should have asked for your expert opinion before watching ;)

      Delete