Saturday, March 23, 2019

Movies I Watched in February


February is always a light month due to TCM's annual 31 Days of Oscar. I decided to do a little counting and discovered that out of the 319 films shown this month I have already seen 122 films, I am not interested (at least at this time) in watching 126 films, I want to (eventually) see 71 films, and out of those films I watched 15 of them.
  1. Sadie Thompson (1928) - Gloria Swanson, Lionel Barrymore
  2. A Free Soul (1931) - Norma Shearer, Lionel Barrymore, Clark Gable, Leslie Howard
  3. Morning Glory (1933) - Katharine Hepburn, Adolph Menjou, Douglas Fairbanks Jr.
  4. Lost Horizon (1937) - Ronald Colman & Jane Wyatt, Thomas Mitchell, Edward Everett Horton
  5. The Cowboy and the Lady (1938) - Gary Cooper & Merle Oberon, Patsy Kelly, Walter Brennan
  6. Gulliver's Travels (1939) - Sam Parker, Tedd Pierce, Jack Mercer, Pinto Colvig
  7. Brother Orchid (1940) - Edward G. Robinson, Ann Sothern, Humphrey Bogart, Ralph Bellamy, Donald Crisp, Cecil Kellaway
  8. Cheers for Miss Bishop (1941) - Martha Scott, Marsha Hunt
  9. *Random Harvest (1942) - Ronald Colman & Greer Garson, Susan Peters
  10. The Yellow Cab Man (1950) - Red Skelton, Edward Arnold, James Gleason
  11. *We’re No Angels (1955) - Humphrey Bogart, Peter Ustinov, Aldo Ray, Basil Rathbone, Joan Bennett
  12. Sayonara (1957) - Marlon Brando, Red Buttons, James Garner, Kent Smith, Martha Scott
  13. The Mating Game (1959) - Debbie Reynolds & Tony Randall, Paul Douglas, Una Merkel 
  14. The Grass is Greener (1960) - Deborah Kerr, Robert Mitchum, Jean Simmons, Cary Grant
  15. Big Red (1962) - Walter Pidgeon
  16. Billy Budd (1962) - Peter Ustinov, Robert Ryan, Terence Stamp
  17. The Prisoner of Second Avenue (1974) - Jack Lemmon & Ann Bancroft
Notes: The Cowboy and the Lady was delightful - loved the charade scene at the new house, I wasn't wild on The Mating Game though I liked Randall in it, The Grass is Greener was pretty disappointing for such a stellar cast, the kid in Big Red was kind of annoying, and Terence Stamp was great as Billy Budd.


One of the films I was excited about was Sadie Thompson (1928) starring Gloria Swanson. Swanson is one of those actresses you feel you know but have only seen in one iconic film. I recently watched the movie she made prior to Sunset Boulevard (1950), Father Takes a Wife (1941), after being away from films for 7 years. I felt I needed to see her in a Silent film. I have already seen the 1953 version with Rita Hayworth so I was already familiar with the story. It was a tad slow at first but I got really into it near the end and was a little frustrated that the climax was lost and had to be conveyed through stills and dialogue frames. Swanson gave an incredible performance and I highly encourage all of you to keep an eye out for it.


My biggest obsession of the month has been Lost Horizon (1937) and with it a new appreciation for Ronald Colman. I also discovered that Lost Horizon was based on a book of the same name written by James Hilton who also wrote the books upon which the films Random Harvest (1942) and Goodbye, Mr. Chips (1939) were based, both of which I love. And so of course I had to rewatch Random Harvest and then check out all three books from the library. I read Mr. Chips in an evening as it's very short. Lost Horizon, though it had some character changes, was every bit as good as the book (helped by the fact that I could hear Colman's voice as I read it). And now I'm reading Random Harvest. It's a little confusing as the first part has a different character as narrator and it's in a different order than the movie, but so far I'm enjoying it as well. I've discovered also that Knight Without Armour (1937) is based on a Hilton book but to read it I will have to buy it. I also learned that there are two more movies based on Hilton books that I will be keeping and eye out for. He also wrote a biography on Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, which I can surprisingly get from my library. I probably should have just done a whole post on James Hilton... :)

7 comments:

  1. Oh, I saw The Cowboy and the Lady in January. I didn't love it because I'm not a Gary Cooper fan, but there were definitely parts that made me chuckle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lost Horizon was one of the books we studied in high school. I think the film is marvelous, and Colman is perfect as Conway. Trouble is I think Colman is always perfect.

    Gloria Swanson impresses me greatly in Sadie Thompson. I didn't think too much of the 1953 version of the story. Joan Crawford in Rain is a definite must-see. Wow!

    I'm going to have to check out The Cowboy and the Lady which I have avoided through the years because of a prejudicial aversion to the unimaginative title.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only watched the 1953 one for Aldo Ray... ;) Not Long after I was going to watch Rain but then realized it was the same story and I had watched the other one too recently.

      The title definitely doesn’t do it justice. It was really cute.

      Delete
  3. Please do a post on James Hilton! I have loved his books (though I haven't read them all) and the movies based on them. I think he had a unique gift for getting at the things we all feel and don't talk about. Some of the movies based on his work have translated this beautifully.

    There's a scene early on in Random Harvest, where "Smitty" thinks he might have found his family. If you haven't seen the movie, Smitty is suffering from PTSD from fighting WWI. He's unable to speak and has amnesia. He's introduced to an elderly couple looking for their MIA son. They immediately realize it isn't Smitty and turn, sadly, to go. Ronald Coleman mutely reaches out a hand to them as they turn away from him. It's stagy bit of business and I don't think they could pull it off in a movie today. But it gets me choky every time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I discovered most of his books on Project Gutenberg Australia. So far I’ve just read the short stories on there but I’m looking forward to Knight Without Armour since there’s no copies at the library.

      That scene is heartbreaking! It’s not described in the book though (which was still really good).

      Maybe I will do a full post :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Phyllis, I'm glad to find another fan of The Cowboy and the Lady! I think it's a hidden gem, and I can't wait to write a post for it on my blog. I've been enjoying your blog and am glad to have found you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you do send me the link! I'd love to read it!

      Delete