Tuesday, March 1, 2016

The Obligatory Oscars Post - Fashion Edition

I know this is a Classic Movie blog but since there has been quite a bit about Oscar-winning fashions over here I thought I would share my favorite Red Carpet looks from this Sunday's Oscars.

The "In Memoriam" video shown at the Oscars

Out of my predictions I got six right: Best Actor, Actress, Cinematography, Original Song, Documentary, and Animated Feature Film. I was happy when Alicia Vikander won Best Supporting Actress because I thought she was great in The Man From U.N.C.L.E. (she was nominated for The Danish Girl). Plus, she's adorable. She sounded like she could hardly breathe when she won.


My first choice for Best Supporting Actor was Sylvester Stallone, as Rocky is one of my top favorite movies (haven't seen Creed yet though) with my second choice being Tom Hardy (latest movie star crush). The Oscar went to Mark Rylance, who was the only one to win an award for Bridge of Spies, which had six nominations.

Tom Hardy with wife and The Revenant co-star Leonardo DiCaprio
(does Hardy have a picture of himself on his phone?!?).

And now to the fashion portion of this post (there were lots of necklines that were confused and thought they were waistlines but there is only one of those shared here). First of all, I was hoping Cinderella would win Best Costume but that honor went to Mad Max: Fury Road (as did most of the other awards). I thought it was very appropriate that Cate Blanchett (who was in Cinderella and had some AMAZING gowns) presented the Award. Some cool props were brought on stage, which I thought was awesome - it highlighted the importance of costumes.

                  
Designer: Armani Prive
 
 
There were lots of great earrings on the Red Carpet

I wasn't quite sure how I liked Alicia Vikander's dress when I first saw it but it quickly grew on me. Of course it is being compared to Belle's ballroom gown in Beauty and the Beast.

                        
Designer: Louis Vuitton



Emily Blunt, one of my favorite actresses of today (even though I've only seen five of her films) won as cutest expectant mother. Her dress was sexy without being slutty. I thought it was very appropriate.

Designer: Prada 


                      

Brie Larson, who won Best Actress, had a very beautiful blue gown with a jeweled belt.


                       
Designer: Gucci
 

 
        
Brie had a great smile on the Red Carpet.
 
Hugging her young Room co-star, Jacob Tremblay, before heading to the stage to accept her Oscar. You can view her acceptance speech here.
 
Tom Hardy's wife, Charlotte Riley, wore a gorgeous gown, at least, it would have been if the neckline would have been raised a bit.
 

            
Designer: Gaurie & Nainika
The gown had a great full skirt and the red lipstick made it very glamorous.
 
Other beautiful black gowns included Jennifer Garner (who sadly did not look happy, she was smiling but not with her eyes - UPDATE: it was probably just the painful metal corset she was wearing):
 
      
Designer: Versace

  
 Another pair of great earrings.
 
Julianne Moore (the lace skirt on this one is gorgeous):
 
     
Designer: Chanel

      
 
And Kate Winslet, whose dress was made of some unusual fabric. At first it looked olive green but later it looked black. I loved her hair and makeup.
 
 LOVE these earrings!
 
For all the Kate and Leo fans out there. Though I'm not a DiCaprio fan, I'm glad he finally won an Oscar. You can view his acceptance speech here.
 

Designer: Ralph Lauren 

A surprise look I liked was Lady Gaga. She has been trending toward a more glamorous Old-Hollywood look of late, especially in her choice of hair styles and makeup. I loved that her gown had pants, like the hostess outfits of the 50s.
 
         
Designer: Brandon Maxwell

 
Favorite hair and makeup goes to Rachel McAdams. Her makeup is done by her sister. Her dress was too revealing though (you can't tell from these photos).
 
Designer: August Getty Atelier

Hair by Mark Townsend. Makeup by Chanel.
 
 
The men of the evening for the most part all looked quite dashing (see Hardy and DiCaprio above). There weren't any really strange outfits this year. Henry Cavill wore a velvet suit coat:
 
Designer: Dunhill

                       
I'm sure he was happy to see Vikander win, as they co-starred in The Man From U.N.C.L.E.
 
Jimmy Kimmel (right) with his fake nemesis, Matt Damon.
 
The real highlight of the night for me was the After the Oscars show with Jimmy Kimmel. This happened:
 
 
Also, an exclusive deleted scene from Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice was shown.
 
 
Finally, I will leave you with a picture of the four Oscar-winning actors:
 
Mark Rylance, Brie Larson, Leonardo DiCaprio, and Alicia Vikander

4 comments:

  1. I think my favorite gown of the night was Brie Larson's. I love that shade of blue and the jeweled belt added an extra something to it. I really liked her hairstyle as well. I also quite liked Lady Gaga's gown. Emily Blunt looked beautiful too. One dress I didn't particularly liked was Olivia Wilde's. The skirt looked fine, but the top was way too revealing. And the choker did not look good either.

    I was really surprised when Alicia Vikander won Best Supporting Actress (I was sure Kate Winslet would get it), but I'm really happy that she did because she was flawless in "The Danish Girl." I'm also thrilled that Brie Larson won Best Actress; she was phenomenal in "Room." Mark Rylance, on the other hand... how and why in the world did he win Best Supporting Actor? I mean, he was fine in "Bridge of Spies," but I don't think his performance was Oscar-worthy. I think Mark Rufallo should have won in that category. I would have accepted either Tom Hardy or Sylvester Stallone, but not Mark Rylance. Also, "Spotlight" for Best Picture? Why??? At least, the Academy had the decency of giving Best Actor to Leonardo DiCaprio. About time, too.

    Sorry if this was a ramble. I get way too worked up about these things sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The one thing I thought interesting on Wilde's dress was the back/shoulders - it looked very 30s to me. And yes, there were lots of revealing dresses :/

      I had Winslet picked for the win too (I haven't actually seen any of the films that were nominated though). I was very happy for Larson too. I read an article about her childhood recently and it was rough so I'm glad she got this Oscar as I'm sure it will help her in her career.

      I would have accepted Rufallo too :) And I'm glad DiCaprio won because now in the future there won't have to be a post for a snubs blogathon on how he never won! ;)

      Delete
  2. The colour of Brie's dress is just stunning. There should be more royal blue on the red carpet. Really enjoyable post. We don't have cable (by choice), so I haven't seen the Oscars in a while. It's fun to catch up on them via the blogs I follow.

    Have an awesome weekend, dear Phyl,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, the royal blue really stands out. This was my first year watching a full Oscars live. The anticipation before each announcement was fun.

      You have a great weekend too!

      Delete