Sunday, November 11, 2018

Movies I Watched in October

Can you guess why I revisited this one? ;)

Well, I have TCM again (signed in with my Aunt's account). I went to visit my aunt on Long Island for an entire month and, as you can see from all the * I've mostly been watching movies I've already seen with her. A couple she remembered vaguely having seen before but I was able to introduce her to some "new" films. Her favorite seemed to be Theodora Goes Wild ;)

While on Long Island I got to visit a couple movie locations. I've already posted about visiting Jones Beach, the setting for The Girl From Jones Beach (1948), but I've updated it so be sure to check it out again! I also got to go to Old Westbury Gardens. The house there was used as James Mason's mansion at the beginning of North By Northwest (1959). That post will be coming shortly (after my blogathon).

Now to the films I watched:
  1. The Old Dark House (1932) - Boris Karloff, Melvyn Douglas, Charles Laughton, Raymond Massey, Gloria Stuart
  2. The Ghost Goes West (1936) - Robert Donat
  3. Make Way for a Lady (1936) - Anne Shirley, Herbert Marshall 
  4. *Theodora Goes Wild (1936) - Irene Dunne & Melvyn Douglas
  5. *The Ex-Mrs. Bradford (1936) - William Powell & Jean Arthur
  6. *Double Wedding (1937) - William Powell & Myrna Loy 
  7. *Third Finger, Left Hand (1940) - Melvyn Douglas & Myrna Loy, Lee Bowman
  8. Night Train to Munich (1940) - Margaret Lockwood, Rex Harrison, Paul Henried 
  9. *Love Crazy (1941) - William Powell & Myrna Loy, Jack Carson
  10. Tish (1942) - Marjorie Main, Susan Peters, Lee Bowman, Zasu Pitts
  11. *The More the Merrier (1943) - Jean Arthur & Joel McCrea, Charles Coburn
  12. Always Together (1948) - Cecil Kellaway, Dennis Morgan & Jack Carson (cameos)
  13. Born to Be Bad (1950) - Joan Fontaine & Robert Ryan, Zachary Scott & Joan Leslie, Mel Ferrer
  14. *The Lemon-Drop Kid (1951) - Bob Hope & Marilyn Maxwell, Jane Darwell
  15. *Three Coins in the Fountain (1954) - Louis Jourdan & Maggie McNamara, Clifton Webb & Dorothy McGuire, Jean Peters & Rossano Brazzi
  16. Odds Against Tomorrow (1959) - Harry Belafonte, Robert Ryan
  17. *North by Northwest (1959) - Cary Grant & Eva Marie Saint, James Mason
Least Favorite Movie: Almost all the films I watched were old favorites. Out of the new-to-me movies I watched the only one I didn't "love" was Always Together, mainly because I can't stand storylines where the wife divorces the husband without letting him explain what really happened, causing herself to look foolish when she finally learns the truth. Tish had a similar non-communication problem, though I enjoyed it more.


Favorite Movie: Again, all favorites but I greatly enjoyed The Ghost Goes West with Donat in a double role as well as Night Train to Munich. Also, why wasn't Harry Belafonte in more movies??? I watched Odds Against Tomorrow for Robert Ryan but found myself focusing on Belafonte (whose Calypso record was incidentally a favorite of my brother's and I growing up in the 90s). You can find the entire film (in two parts) on YouTube.

We listened and danced to this all. the. time.

10 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you saw Night Train To Munich (and loved it)! :D Was it your first viewing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was! And only my second Lockwood film! TCM showed several of her films but I was only able to squeeze in one :(

      Delete
    2. I guess the first one was The Lady Vanishes?? That's the one most people have seen. But it's SO GOOD. It's the first one I ever saw and despite seeing several after it still remains my favourite. If you need any suggestions, don't hesitate to ask! I love promoting Margaret haha.

      Delete
    3. Apparently this was my third one lol. She’s in “Susannah of the Mounties” which I watched when I was little. All I remember is Shirley Temple crying under a wagon. The other one was “A Place of One’s Own” which I watched last year. I’ve started TLV a couple times but couldn’t get into it because I do know anyone in the cast. But now I do so I will probably watch it soon :)

      Delete
  2. I think Harry Belafonte was particularly fussy about the movies he would appear in as He co-produced Odds Against Tomorrow. Nonetheless, I agree, he should have been in many more movies.

    The Ghost Goes West is an old fave of mine and I take unnecessary pride in your enjoying it. Movie fans are silly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s funny how much joy we get out of someone liking the same movie. I’m halfway through Donat’s filmography. How I wish he had been in more movies!!

      Delete
  3. I watch The Lemon-Drop Kid a long time ago, and I remember liking it, but I don't remember much else!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A nice selection for the month! My titles all seem to veer towards black and white movies and British films when the autumn season comes around. If you have not seen "The Doctor Takes a Wife" ( 1940 ) with Ray Milland and Loretta Young, I think you'd enjoy that one...it seems like something right up your alley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to have watched a lot of British films this year too, and many of them are now favorites! I'll definitely keep an eye out for it!

      Delete