So far this year I've already watched four new-to-me movies from the 1970s! Surprising since last year I didn't watch any, not even the few favorites I have from that decade! I'm not saying it's ever going to be one of my favorite decades but I'm glad to have discovered some new films (they have all had actors I know from the Golden Age of Hollywood so... yeah).
- The Power of the Press (1928 - Silent) - Douglas Fairbanks Jr.
- King of Jazz (1930) - Paul Whiteman, John Boles, Bing Crosby
- Supernatural (1933) - Carole Lombard & Randolph Scott
- After Tonight (1933) - Constance Bennett & Gilbert Roland
- Dancing Lady (1933) - Joan Crawford & Clark Gable, Franchot Tone, Three Stooges, Fred Astaire, Nelson Eddy, Eve Arden
- *The Richest Girl in the World (1934) - Miriam Hopkins & Joel McCrea, Fay Wray
- Fashions of 1934 (1934) - William Powell & Bette Davis, Frank McHugh
- The Prisoner of Zenda (1937) - Ronald Colman & Madeleine Carroll, Douglas Fairbanks Jr., Reginald Owen, David Niven, Raymond Massey, Mary Astor
- No Place to Go (1939) - Dennis Morgan & Gloria Dickson
- Susan and God (1940) - Joan Crawford & Fredric March, Ruth Hussey, Rita Hayworth, John Carroll
- Higher and Higher (1943) - Michele Morgan & Jack Haley, Frank Sinatra, Barbara Hale, Mary Wickes, Victor Borge
- Hungry Hill (1947) - Margaret Lockwood, Jean Simmons, Dan O’Hurlihy
- The Naked City (1948) - Barry FitzGerald, Don Taylor
- Jour de Fete (1949 - French) - Jacques Tati
- The Tattooed Stranger (1950) - Walter Kinsella, John Miles, Patricia Barry
- Sudden Fear (1952) - Joan Crawford & Jack Palance, Gloria Graham
- Blueprint for Murder (1953) - Joseph Cotten & Jean Peters, Gary Merrill
- *Valley of the Kings (1954) - Robert Taylor & Eleanor Parker
- *The Bellboy (1960) - Jerry Lewis, Milton Berle
- The Rising of the Moon (1957) - Tyrone Power (narrator)
- The Alphabet Murders (1965) - Tony Randall, Anita Ekberg
- The Bears and I (1974) - Patrick Wayne, Robert Pine
- California Suite (1978) - Alan Alda & Jane Fonda, Maggie Smith & Michael Caine, Bill Cosby, Richard Pryor, Walter Matthau
Mary Wickes had some great outfits in Higher and Higher (1943). Check out the sparkly crescent shaped fasteners in that last screenshot!
Least Favorite Film: Hungry Hill was very tiresome. I watched it for Jean Simmons but she was only in a little bit of the first half. Margaret Lockwood couldn't save the story either. Also No Place to Go. I wouldn't have finished it if I wasn't trying to watch all of Dennis Morgan's films but he was barely in it. The old man was good but I'm picky about child actors, especially when the story is centered on them. The Tattooed Stranger was a too slow, especially after watching The Naked City, which was also a police procedural film but with a much better tempo.
I desperately want this hat ♥ Susan and God (1940).
Favorite Film: Lots of great movies this month! I was so happy that TCM FINALLY showed Fashions of 1934 with William Powell. I've only been waiting like 5 YEARS! It did not disappoint. Bette Davis was kind of wasted in her role but Powell was in top form as always :) Also really enjoyed Dancing Lady and The Prisoner of Zenda.