Sunday, March 31, 2019

Movies I Watched in March


So far this year I've already watched four new-to-me movies from the 1970s! Surprising since last year I didn't watch any, not even the few favorites I have from that decade! I'm not saying it's ever going to be one of my favorite decades but I'm glad to have discovered some new films (they have all had actors I know from the Golden Age of Hollywood so... yeah).
  1. The Power of the Press (1928 - Silent) - Douglas Fairbanks Jr.
  2. King of Jazz (1930) - Paul Whiteman, John Boles, Bing Crosby
  3. Supernatural (1933) - Carole Lombard & Randolph Scott
  4. After Tonight (1933) - Constance Bennett & Gilbert Roland
  5. Dancing Lady (1933) - Joan Crawford & Clark Gable, Franchot Tone, Three Stooges, Fred Astaire, Nelson Eddy, Eve Arden
  6. *The Richest Girl in the World (1934) - Miriam Hopkins & Joel McCrea, Fay Wray
  7. Fashions of 1934 (1934) - William Powell & Bette Davis, Frank McHugh
  8. The Prisoner of Zenda (1937) - Ronald Colman & Madeleine Carroll, Douglas Fairbanks Jr., Reginald Owen, David Niven, Raymond Massey, Mary Astor
  9. No Place to Go (1939) - Dennis Morgan & Gloria Dickson
  10. Susan and God (1940) - Joan Crawford & Fredric March, Ruth Hussey, Rita Hayworth, John Carroll
  11. Higher and Higher (1943) - Michele Morgan & Jack Haley, Frank Sinatra, Barbara Hale, Mary Wickes, Victor Borge
  12. Hungry Hill (1947) - Margaret Lockwood, Jean Simmons, Dan O’Hurlihy 
  13. The Naked City (1948) - Barry FitzGerald, Don Taylor
  14. Jour de Fete (1949 - French) - Jacques Tati
  15. The Tattooed Stranger (1950) - Walter Kinsella, John Miles, Patricia Barry
  16. Sudden Fear (1952) - Joan Crawford & Jack Palance, Gloria Graham
  17. Blueprint for Murder (1953) - Joseph Cotten & Jean Peters, Gary Merrill
  18. *Valley of the Kings (1954) - Robert Taylor & Eleanor Parker
  19. *The Bellboy (1960) - Jerry Lewis, Milton Berle 
  20. The Rising of the Moon (1957) - Tyrone Power (narrator)
  21. The Alphabet Murders (1965) - Tony Randall, Anita Ekberg
  22. The Bears and I (1974) - Patrick Wayne, Robert Pine
  23. California Suite (1978) - Alan Alda & Jane Fonda, Maggie Smith & Michael Caine, Bill Cosby, Richard Pryor, Walter Matthau
Mary Wickes had some great outfits in Higher and Higher (1943). Check out the sparkly crescent shaped fasteners in that last screenshot!

Least Favorite Film: Hungry Hill was very tiresome. I watched it for Jean Simmons but she was only in a little bit of the first half. Margaret Lockwood couldn't save the story either. Also No Place to Go. I wouldn't have finished it if I wasn't trying to watch all of Dennis Morgan's films but he was barely in it. The old man was good but I'm picky about child actors, especially when the story is centered on them. The Tattooed Stranger was a too slow, especially after watching The Naked City, which was also a police procedural film but with a much better tempo.

I desperately want this hat ♥ Susan and God (1940).

Favorite Film: Lots of great movies this month! I was so happy that TCM FINALLY showed Fashions of 1934 with William Powell. I've only been waiting like 5 YEARS! It did not disappoint. Bette Davis was kind of wasted in her role but Powell was in top form as always :) Also really enjoyed Dancing Lady and The Prisoner of Zenda.

5 comments:

  1. "One Minute's Wait" is my favourite segment of The Rising of the Moon. I look forward to it every year.

    What did you think of The Alphabet Murders? It's not great and it's not really Christie, but if I approach it like pure Tashlin, thinking of it like a cartoon, it works for me. At any rate, the musical cue for the Miss Marple cameo is cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my favorite part too :)

      It was a bit of a task to get through. I just couldn’t swallow Randall as Poirot or Poirot being skinny. The Miss Marple bit was the best part along with the car trunk scene.

      Delete
  2. I've been waiting years to see Fashions of 1934 too and was thrilled to see it air! I recorded The Alphabet Murders because I'm making my way through Tony Randall's films, but I haven't watched it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd never heard of "Fashions of 1934" before, and I just watched the trailer on YouTube. It looks fabulous – and with William Powell, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really fun though Bette’s part could have been played by anybody.

      Delete