Sunday, June 3, 2018

Movies I Watched in May


This month was another light movie month. I've started watching Our Miss Brooks on Decades TV, which is five episodes a week.

* means a rewatch
  1. Blonde Venus (1932) - Marlene Dietrich, Herbert Marshall, Cary Grant, Dickie Moore
  2. Angel (1937) - Marlene Dietrich, Melvyn Douglas, Herbert Marshall 
  3. Having Wonderful Time (1938) - Ginger Rogers & Douglas Fairbanks Jr., Eve Arden, Jack Carson
  4. Four Wives (1939) - Lane sisters, Claude Rains, Eddie Albert
  5. Secret Enemies (1942) - Craig Stevens, Faye Emerson
  6. Andy Hardy Leads a Double Life (1942) - Mickey Rooney, Lewis Stone, Ann Rutherford, Esther Williams
  7. Ladies Day (1943) - Eddie Albert & Lupe Velez, Patsy Kelly
  8. Sabotage Agent (1943) - Robert Donat, Glynis Johns (also known as The Adventures of Tartu)
  9. My Reputation (1944/46) - Barbara Stanwyck & George Brent, Eve Arden
  10. Mildred Pierce (1945) - Joan Crawford, Anne Blyth, Jack Carson, Eve Arden
  11. Whiplash (1948) - Dane Clark & Alexis Smith, Zachary Scott, Eve Arden, S.Z. Sakall
  12. The Winslow Boy (1948) - Robert Donat
  13. To Please a Lady (1950) - Clark Gable & Barbara Stanwyck, Adolph Menjou 
  14. *Battle Cry (1955) - Van Heflin, James Whitmore, Aldo Ray, Nancy Olson, Tab Hunter, Dorothy Malone, Anne Francis
  15. The Inn of Sixth Happiness (1958) - Ingrid Bergman, Robert Donat
  16. Cash McCall (1960) - James Garner & Natalie Wood, Dean Jagger
  17. Murder at the Gallop (1963) - Margaret Rutherford, Flora Robson
  18. Murder Ahoy! (1964) - Margaret Rutherford
  19. *Support Your Local Sheriff (1969) - James Garner
  20. Volunteers (1985) - Tom Hanks, John Candy, Rita Wilson
Least Favorite Movie: I'm going to go the unpopular way and say Mildred Pierce. Don't get me wrong, the performances were top notch but I just didn't like the story. Veda made me angry and I like movies to leave me in a good mood. Cash McCall was kind of bland.

Favorite Movie: Sabotage Agent was really good. I'm trying to watch all of Robert Donat's movies, as he only made 19. Also Glynis Johns, a fave of mine, was absolutely amazing in it. I highly recommend it. It's on YouTube I believe.

6 comments:

  1. I'm shocked that Mildred Pierce didn't do it for you. Maybe give it another shot in a couple of years. So much excellence on display always leaves me in a great mood.

    You certainly had a lot of first viewings this month. The Winslow Boy is a particular favourite of mine. I want to love Four Wives, but I am constantly annoyed by Ann's pregnancy during which she never shows! If only life were like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s definitely a movie I need to watch again one day. I think because it’s talked about so much I had certain expectations. I hated the Maltese Falcon when I first saw it but loved it when I finally gave it a rewatch.

      Movie pregnancies... sigh...

      Delete
  2. I too am working my way through Robert Donat's films. He really was an excellent actor. I enjoyed The Winslow Boy. And I also felt the same way about Mildred Pierce. Glad to know I'm not the only one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m really looking forward to watching the 39 Steps now that I’m a fan of Donat’s. And there’s a few more of his movies on YouTube I have yet to see.

      Delete
  3. Oh, Support Your Local Sheriff is one of my favorites. :) I should rewatch it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Caftan Woman. Mildred Pierce is a classic I never get bored of. Maybe you were disappointed because your expectations were too high. This often happens when there is a lot of hype around a film.

    ReplyDelete