Thursday, June 1, 2023

Movies I Watched in May

Alida Valli in The White Tower (1950)

Not being a member of the CMBA, I really missed celebrating National Classic Movie Day with a blogathon. I was very annoyed when I saw that they stole it from the Classic Film & TV Cafe blog. 

* indicates a rewatch

  1. *Sullivan’s Travels (1941) - Joel McCrea & Veronica Lake
  2. This Gun for Hire (1942) - Robert Preston & Veronica Lake, Alan Ladd, Laird Creger
  3. Lucky Jordan (1942) - Alan Ladd & Helen Walker
  4. The Mating of Millie (1948) - Glenn Ford & Evelyn Keyes
  5. The White Tower (1950) - Glenn Ford & Alida Valli, Claude Rains, Lloyd Bridges
  6. The Miniver Story (1950) - Greer Garson & Walter Pidgeon, Cathy O'Donnell, John Hodiak
  7. South Sea Woman (1953) - Burt Lancaster & Virginia Mayo, Chuck Conners
  8. Deadly Game (1954) - Lloyd Bridges
  9. Wichita (1955) - Joel McCrea & Vera Miles, Lloyd Bridges
  10. The Teahouse of the August Moon (1956) - Marlon Brando, Glenn Ford, Machiko Kyo, Eddie Albert, Harry Morgan
  11. *The Gazebo (1960) - Glenn Ford & Debbie Reynolds, Carl Reiner
  12. Airport (1970) - Burt Lancaster, Dean Martin, Jean Seburg, Jacqueline Bisset, George Kennedy, Van Heflin, Helen Hayes, Dana Wynter, Barbara Hale, Maureen, Stapleton, Lloyd Nolan, Virginia Grey
  13. Airport 1975 (1974) - Charlton Heston & Karen Black, Dana Andrews, George Kennedy, Efrem Zimbalist Jr., Nancy Olson, Gloria Swanson, Myrna Loy, Martha Scott, Beverly Garland, Jerry Stiller
  14. Airport '77 (1977) - Jack Lemmon, James Stewart, Lee Grant, George Kennedy, Olivia de Havilland, Joseph Cotten, Christopher Lee
  15. Guilty by Suspicion (1991) - Robert De Niro, George Wendt
  16. Backdraft (1991) - Kurt Russell, William Baldwin, Robert De Niro, Donald Sutherland
  17. *Unstoppable (2010) - Denzel Washington, Chris Pine
  18. *Hell or High Water (2016) - Chris Pine, Jeff Bridges, Ben Foster
Call Me Kate (2022) - doc about Hepburn with home video footage and recorded audio interviews

Least Favorite Film: Well, I didn't like the prison part of Sullivan's Travels, though overall I appreciated the film better than I did when I first saw it several years ago. The first half of The Teahouse of the August Moon was kind of tiresome but once Eddie Albert showed up it was really good. He's so great at playing an enthusiastic farmer lol. And, out of the three Airport movies, the last one was the most unrealistic. And it was the one I had most looked forward to due to de Havilland being in it. 

Favorite Movie: The Mating of Millie was delightful! It had me tearing up one minute and laughing out loud in surprise the next. Highly recommend. Of course it's not on dvd :'( Alan Ladd in This Gun for Hire broke my heart (in a good way). 

2 comments:

  1. What a list! I loved the Gazebo when I saw it. It's just so much fun and I love how Hitchcock is part of the story. I love Sullivan's Travels but I also have to admit the prison part isn't my favourite either. PS: How come you aren't a member of CMBA?? I was sure you were!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I applied a long time ago but my blogging was all over the place and not consistent at the time. I was going to try again last year after I had been blogging my different series regularly for a year but then I started my new job and my blogging tanked again lol

      Delete