Thursday, February 9, 2023

Movies I Watched in January

Usually January is a heavy movie month (one year I watched over 40 movies!), but with my job it was a hectic month (a lot of insurance benefits change with the new year). I also got hit with a bad cold out of nowhere. Under each movie I've added a couple of my thoughts. 

* indicates a rewatch.

1. *The 39 Steps (193) - Robert Donat & Madeleine Carroll 

I mean, it’s Robert Donat ;) I watched this with my brother. His first Donat and first British Hitchcock! 

 

2. Smilin’ Through (1941) - Jeanette MacDonald, Brian Aherne, Gene Raymond, Ian Hunter 
I was really impressed with Raymond's acting at the end of the movie - that's something I never thought I would say! This version was good, but I prefer the Norma Shearer one. 
 
3. The Spider Woman (1943) - Basil Rathbone, Nigel Bruce, Gale Sondergaard 
 
4. *Vacation from Marriage (1945) - Robert Donat & Deborah Kerr, Glynis Johns 
I love this movie so much. I want to be Glynis Johns when I grow up lol. 
 
5. The Spider Woman Strikes Back (1946) - Gale Sondergaard  
A "sequel" in name only to the Holmes movie.  
 
6. The Falcon’s Alibi (1946) - Tom Conway, Rita Corday, Jane Greer, Elisha Cook Jr.
Conway looked like he could be Errol Flynn's brother in this movie. I've never noticed it before.  
 
7. Beauty and the Beast (1946-French) - Josette Day & Jean Marais
Good, but the eyes creeped me out. IYKYK 
 
8. Gold Raiders (1951) - George O’Brien, Three Stooges  
The scenes with the Three Stooges were funny of course, but the rest of the movie was very predictable. I didn't realize until days later that George O'Brien was the same actor in She Wore a Yellow Ribbon and Fort Apache! While watching it I felt like I should know who he was. 
 
9. Ride, Vaquero! (1953) - Robert Taylor, Ava Gardner, Howard Keel, Anthony Quinn, Jack Elam 
Normally I don't like Howard Keel, but I liked him in this movie. Usually his character is obnoxious and full of himself. 
 
10. *Roman Holiday (1953) - Gregory Peck & Audrey Hepburn, Eddie Albert
Saw this on the big screen!!! I teared up when the credits started. 
 
11. Thunder Road (1958) - Robert Mitchum, James Mitchum, Keely Smith
Loved seeing Mitchum's son play his brother. They look so much alike! 
 
12. Twenty Plus Two (1961) - David Janssen, Jeanne Crain, Dina Merrill, Agnes Moorehead
Really enjoyed this one! Was fun to see Robert Osborne in it for a few seconds as an obnoxious sailor. I thought Dina Merrill did a good job in this film. I watched a couple episodes of The Fugitive last year with Kurt Russell in them. I would like to watch the entire series one day. 
 
13. *Cactus Flower (1969) - Walter Matthau, Ingrid Bergman, Goldie Hawn  
This movie is so good. Most dancing scenes in 60s movies are cringe but this one is just hilarious.
 
14. Nickelodeon (1976) - Ryan O’Neal, Burt Reynolds, Tatum O’Neal, Brian Keith, Stella Stevens, Harry Carey Jr. 
A zany comedy about the early days of filmmaking (they played clips of it in the Carl Laemmle doc). It was hilarious!! You can watch it free on Tubi right now. 
 
15. Private Benjamin (1980) - Goldie Hawn 
 
16. 84 Charing Cross Road (1987) - Ann Bancroft, Anthony Hopkins, Judi Dench 
Read the book by Helene Hanff after watching this. I would like to watch more Bancroft films. I teared up when they played God Save the Queen during the Coronation viewing party scene.
 
17. Breathe (2017) - Andrew Garfield & Claire Foy, Hugh Bonneville 
I saw a clip of Andrew Garfield while scrolling through instagram and suddenly realized he reminded me of Robert Donat. I wanted to then watch one of his movies and since I like Claire Foy I watched this one. It was very good, except for the end when he *spoiler?* chooses to end his life with a doctor's assistance. 
 
Carl Laemmle (2019) - great doc about a great filmmaker and Universal Studios

Least Favorite Film: Gold Raiders felt like it lasted forever lol. 

Favorite Movie: Well, my four rewatches were all pretty solid ;) My favorite new-to-me movie was Nickelodeon.

Robert Osborne and Dina Merrill :)

1 comment:

  1. I always enjoy your lists and capsule reviews of your viewing! Best wishes,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete