Sunday, March 20, 2022

Pick My Movie Tag 2: Five Least Favorite Hitchcock Films

I was tagged by The Flapper Dame to write a post on my five least favorite Alfred Hitchcock films for The Pick My Movie Tag 2. The rules are as follows:

  • Nominate one or more people to review the film or films of your choice. Or you can request they review something from a certain year, genre, or star. Everyone can review the same thing, or you can request each person cover something different. As long as it’s something they haven’t written about yet, you’re good.
  • Nominees are allowed to request a different pick for whatever reason no more than five times. Stuff happens. We all know it.
  • Nominees must thank the person who nominated them and provide a link their blog.
  • Nominees may nominate others to keep the tag going. Picking the person who nominated them is allowed, or they can nominate someone else. Maybe both.
  • All participants need to include these rules in their post, whether they’re nominees or picking nominees.
  • All participants should use the “Pick My Movie” banner or something similar in their posts.
  • Have fun!

At first I thought I wouldn’t be able to come up with that number, but I looked through the films I’ve seen and five was the exact number. Now, I still have several films I haven’t seen. I started Under Capricorn once but it wasn’t grabbing me, and I have no desire to watch his final films, Family Plot and Frenzy. And of course I haven’t seen most of his British films (that includes a The Lady Vanishes - I know). However, here is what I was able to come up with (SPOILERS are marked):

1958

Ok, before you start, I only watched this once probably over a decade ago. I need to rewatch it. At the time though, I really wasn't a fan of Jimmy Stewart, especially when he gets those crazy eyes. I have a thing about close-ups of eyes in movies. I also thought he was too old for Kim Novak (same goes for Grace Kelly in Rear Window). The whole psychedelic sequence was not to my liking either. Being younger, I probably missed a lot of underlying meanings and signs that I would get nowadays. Anyway, this is the first film that pops into my head when asked about my least favorite Hitchcock film.

1944

SPOILERS: It really disturbed me when Walter Slezak (I think it was him?) let Canada Lee fall overboard while everyone was sleeping just because he was black. And William Bendix losing his leg also bothered me.

1948

I watched about 15 minutes but did not like it so I stopped. I will probably never watch it all the way through. It was just too morbid.

1936
I couldn't get on board with Sylvia Sidney being married to Oscar Homolka. And SPOILER, her brother getting blown up at the end was pretty gruesome, even though they didn't show it.

1939

I don't really remember anything about this movie except that it was boring and I didn't like it. Was probably just creeped out by Charles Laughton.

What can I say? Those are my choices and I'm sticking to them!

Thanks to Emily for tagging me! And now I tag Hamlette's Soliloquy to write about her Favorite Movie that was FILMED in Europe!

6 comments:

  1. I am not a fan of Vertigo either. I've seen it 3 times and just don't like anyone in it! At all! But Rope kinda fascinates me. I've also seen it at least 3 times and wouldn't mind seeing it a fourth. Jimmy Stewart's character's realizing how dangerous his ideas can be just is excellent storytelling.

    Jamaica Inn was better than the book, that's all I can say for it.

    Thanks for the tag! Can I tweak it to be reviewing my favorite movie that was filmed in Europe that I haven't already reviewed? Because I've already reviewed The Princess Bride, but I haven't reviewed The Great Escape yet...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or could I tweak it to be a top ten list of favorite movies filmed in Europe?

      Delete
    2. Either one would be great!!

      Delete
    3. I finally got my list posted! It's here :-) Thanks for the tag!

      Delete
  2. What an interesting idea to look at least favorites.

    I didn't like Vertigo that much the first time I saw it and while I'm still not a huge fan, I do find I like it better having seen it again (Under Capricorn also grew on me, but I have to be in the right mood for it). Rope, I managed to get through, but wouldn't watch again as it just flat out made me feel sick. For his later movies to avoid, I'd also add Topaz to your list, it was pretty horrible.

    ReplyDelete