Saturday, August 14, 2021

Bette's Hats and Reviews: Hell's House (1932)

Bette Davis's second of nine movies made in 1932 was, according to her autobiography The Lonely Life, "aptly named Hell's House...which took about five minutes to make although it seemed like an eternity...The camera work was excellent, the editing expert, and playing opposite Mr. [Pat] O'Brien a satisfaction."

Bette wears three hats in the film:

HAT 1


I wish we could see the jacket better. It looks interesting!

Young Durkin's playing is sincere and likewise that of Bette Davis. 

~ NY Times

HAT 2


I love the ruffles and scallops! I would have done a different style hat though.

Notice Bette Davis in this - for she has caught on.

~ Silver Screen

HAT 3


This is a very elegant costume!

In this publicity photo, Bette is wearing the final 
costume from the film but with a straw hat.

I didn't watch this movie because it's about a sweet boy who goes to reform school to cover for someone he admires. However, the entire film can be viewed on YouTube.


At the end of filming, Bette declared: 
Six movies were under my belt. The next role would be it. The next one would be the part to prove I really knew how to act. And then it happened. Universal did not take up my option... I had failed in the new medium which I had come to love.
Sources:
Davis, Bette. The Lonely Life: An Autobiography. G. P. Putnam's Sons, 1962.
Ringgold, Gene. Bette Davis: Her Films and Career. Citadel Press. 1966, 1985.
New York Times
Silver Screen Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment