Tuesday, September 1, 2020

Movies I Watched in August

King Creole (1958)

This month I finally got to see all of Duel at Diablo (1966). I caught the end of it on tv several years ago and have wanted to see it since. I started The Barbara Stanwyck Show (free trial of Amazon Prime).

I read three Classic movie books this month: Errol & Olivia: Ego & Obsession in Golden Era Hollywood by Robert Matzen (his books are so informative), The Many Faces of Joséphine Baker by Peggy Caravantes (the first couple chapters were tough to read, she had a horrific childhood), and Images of America: Early Warner Bros. Studio by E.J. Stephens.
  1. A Dog’s Life (1918) - Charlie Chaplin & Edna Purviance
  2. Thirty Day Princess (1934) - Sylvia Sidney & Cary Grant, Edward Arnold
  3. Romeo and Juliet (1936) - Norma Shearer & Leslie Howard, John Barrymore, C. Aubrey Smith, Reginald Denny, Edna May Oliver, Andy Devine
  4. Phantom Raiders (1940) - Walter Pidgeon, Donald Meek, Florence Rice, John Carroll, Cecil Kellaway 
  5. Lady of Burlesque (1943) - Barbara Stanwyck 
  6. Escape in the Fog (1945) - Nina Foch
  7. Embraceable You (1948) - Dane Clark & Geraldine Brooks, S.Z. Sakall
  8. *Room for One More (1952) - Cary Grant & Betsy Drake, George ‘Foghorn’ Winslow
  9. Against All Flags (1953) - Errol Flynn & Maureen O’Hara, Anthony Quinn
  10. Blackout (1954) - Dane Clark
  11. The Weak and the Wicked (1954) - Glynis Johns, Diana Dors
  12. Escape to Burma (1955) - Robert Ryan & Barbara Stanwyck, Reginald Denny 
  13. Great Day in the Morning (1956) - Virginia Mayo, Robert Stack, Ruth Roman, Raymond Burr
  14. King Creole (1958) - Elvis Presley & Dolores Hart, Carolyn Jones, Walter Matthau, Dean Jagger, Vic Morrow
  15. Sergeant Rutledge (1960) - Woody Strode, Jeffrey Hunter, Constance Towers, Billie Burke
  16. *The Birds (1963) - Tippi Hedren & Rod Taylor, Jessica Tandy, Suzanne Pleshette
  17. Fun in Acapulco (1963) - Elvis Presley, Ursula Andress, Paul Lukas 
  18. Seven Days in May (1964) - Kirk Douglas, Burt Lancaster, Fredric March, Ava Gardner, Martin Balsam, Edmond O’Brien
  19. Duel at Diablo (1966) - James Garner, Sidney Poitier, Bibi Anderson, Bill Travers
  20. Paradise, Hawaiian Style (1966) - Elvis Presley 
  21. Easy Come, Easy Go (1967) - Elvis Presley, Dodie Marshall, Pat Priest, Frank McHugh, Elsa Lanchester
  22. Foul Play (1978) - Goldie Hawn & Chevy Chase, Burgess Meredith 
  23. Protocol (1984) - Goldie Hawn
  24. Little Nikita (1988) - Sidney Poitier, River Phoenix 
  25. Submergence (2017) - Alicia Vikander & James McAvoy 
Charlie Chaplin shorts (1914-1922)
Screen Directors Playhouse: Rookie of the Year (1955) - John Wayne, Patrick Wayne, James Gleason
Theatre 62: Rebecca (1962) - James Mason & Joan Hackett, Nina Foch
Elvis Thru the Years (2007)

Least Favorite Film: Paradise, Hawaiian Style was not that great. Even the gorgeous Hawaiian scenery couldn’t save it.

Favorite Movie: Foul Play was hilarious!! I loved Embraceable You (1948). It was so sweet. I was really impressed with Elvis’s acting in King Creole!




8 comments:

  1. I'm old enough to remember when "Foul Play" came out. I tried to watch "There's a Girl In My Soup" on the Goldie Hawn day and gave up on it after about 20 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the beginning of Duel at Diablo once, and have wanted to see the rest of it since! So, the opposite of you. One of these days, maybe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! My brother had a free month of Prime so I watched it on that :)

      Delete
  3. "Against All Flags" has been on my to watch list for awhile, but I still haven't manged to get around to it. Every time I go to watch it, I end up watching a different O'Harra film (last time was "At Sword's Point"), haha!

    And I had no idea there was a Barbara Stanwyck Show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! I’ve been trying harder this year to watch the movies I always put off.

      Me either! It’s on Prime. There are so many movie star tv shows I want to watch: Rod Taylor, Robert Taylor, Robert Stack, Ella Raines - to name a few.

      Delete
  4. I'm a total fan of King Creole. I came for Vic Morrow and left impressed by Elvis! I like him in Flaming Star too.

    BTW, I nominated you for the Sunshine Blogger Award. Play if you want to!

    ReplyDelete