Tuesday, January 12, 2021

2020 Movie Stats



This year I watched 293 new-to-me movies and 43 movies that were rewatches for a total of 336.
New to me: 293 (241 pre-1970, 52 post-1970)
Rewatches: 43 (33 pre-1970, 10 post-1970)
Total: 336 (274 pre-1970, 62 post-1970)

Where I watched them:
TCM: 243 (22 rewatches)
Library (DVD & Apps): 11 (0 rewatches)
Personal DVD: 23 (16 rewatches)
YouTube & OK: 15 (1 rewatch)
Paid Streaming Services: 23 (2 rewatches) 
TV & Free Streaming Services: 18 (2 rewatches)
Theater: 0

          Other: 1


Here are my top ten movie discoveries:


4/17 Baby Boom (1987)
6/18 Blue Hawaii (1961)
7/11 Airplane! (1980)
7/26 Three Days of the Condor (1975)
8/5 Embraceable You (1948)
8/10 Foul Play (1978)
8/29 King Creole (1958)
10/17 The Thomas Crown Affair (1968)
11/19 G.I. Blues (1960)
11/30 Dogfight (1991)



Classics I finally watched:

          The Gold Rush (1925) - Charlie Chaplin

          The Divorcee (1930) - Norma Shearer

          Dracula (1931) - Bela Lugosi

          King Kong (1933) - Fay Wray

          Dodsworth
(1936) - Walter Huston
Dark Victory (1939) - Bette Davis
          Sergeant York (1941) - Gary Cooper, Walter Brennan 

          Citizen Kane (1941) - Orson Welles

          The Magnificent Ambersons (1942) - Joseph Cotten, Tim Holt
Yankee Doodle Dandy (1942) - James Cagney
On the Waterfront (1954) - Marlon Brando
Magnificent Obsession (1954) - Jane Wyman & Rock Hudson
The Red Badge of Courage (1951) - Audie Murphy 

          Jailhouse Rock (1957) - Elvis Presley

          The Blob (1958) - Steve McQueen 

          Spartacus (1960) - Kirk Douglas

          Sergeant Rutledge (1960) - Woody Strode, Jeffrey Hunter
The Great Escape (1963) - Steve McQueen, James Garner
Viva Las Vegas (1964) - Elvis Presley & Ann-Margaret

          The Thomas Crown Affair (1968) - Steve McQueen & Faye Dunaway 

          The Poseidon Adventure (1972) - Gene Hackman

          Annie Hall (1977) - Diane Keaton
E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982) - Drew Barrymore

Number of movies per decade:

1910s: 1 (0 rewatches)
1920s: 10 (0 rewatches)
1930s: 61 (2 rewatches)
1940s: 79 (15 rewatches)
1950s: 81 (7 rewatches)
1960s: 42 (9 rewatches)
1970s: 17 (1 rewatch)
1980s: 18 (1 rewatch)
1990s: 8 (2 rewatches)
2000s: 6 (4 rewatches)
2010s: 11 (2 rewatches)
2020s: 2 (0 rewatches)


Number of movies per month:

January: 31 (2 rewatches)
February: 37 (6 rewatches)
March: 22 (1 rewatch)
April: 21 (2 rewatches)
May: 30 (7 rewatches)
June: 24 (2 rewatches)
July: 32 (1 rewatch)
August: 25 (2 rewatches) 
September: 31 (3 rewatches)
October: 27 (3 rewatches)
November: 28 (7 rewatches)
December: 28 (7 rewatches)


Most Watched (Leading) Movie Stars:

Robert Taylor - 20 films
Elvis Presley - 13 films
Mel Gibson - 13 films
Barbara Stanwyck - 12 films
Walter Pidgeon - 11 films
Gary Cooper - 10 films
Patricia Neal - 9 films
Robert Stack - 9 films
Greer Garson - 8 films
Robert Ryan - 8 films
Karl Malden - 8 films

Norma Shearer, Errol Flynn, Bette Davis, George Sanders, Joan Crawford, Marsha Hunt, John Wayne, Marx Brothers (together & separate), River Phoenix - 6 films

Tony Curtis, James Garner, Eve Arden, Goldie Hawn - 5 films


Stars I discovered/grew to love/admire: Elvis Presley, Robert Taylor, Mel Gibson, Robert Stack, River Phoenix


*To see last years stats click here.

Did you keep track of the movies you watched in 2020? Was there a star or movie you discovered that you can't live without now? Let me know in the comments!

10 comments:

  1. Fascinating - I love your statistics. I don't watch as many movies as I do TV series (mainly because that is what my husband loves). I was pleased to discover that some great classics are available on YouTube and the quality is often impressive. Case in point - I watched "Nightmare Alley" a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it. Through Amazon Prime, I've also discovered blaxplooitation films of the early 70s that I never thought I would be a fan of but I find them oddly entertaining. Pam Grier's films are especially so much fun. Right before the Covid crisis hit, some friends were getting together and took turns choosing a film. That was fun - I introduced them to "Rebecca", "Night of the Hunter" and "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir", three of my favorite films.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed! I need to include what tv shows I watched in my stats post. I mention what I’m watching in my monthly post. There are so many shows I want to watch but just keeping up with what I want to watch on TCM takes up too much time haha. I’ve been trying to watch more movies elsewhere though. There are so many great films on YouTube!

      That sounds fun! I haven’t seen Night of the Hunter but the other two are great choices!

      Delete
  2. Isn't King Creole surprisingly excellent? It's one of my favorite movies about juvenile delinquents -- I initially watched it for Vic Morrow, and he did not disappoint, but the whole movie is just great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is!! So sad that Elvis wasn’t allowed to continue in that vein.

      Delete
    2. Agreed. I do really like his more-serious western Flaming Star too. But I have to be in just the right mood for most of his other movies.

      BTW, I have nominated you here for a Sunshine Blogger Award. Play if you want to! Happy Monday!

      Delete
    3. I haven’t seen that one yet. Right now I’m watching any movie of his I can access because I have a major crush on him lol.

      Thanks!

      Delete
  3. I love reading these stats! You watch so many movies! Yesterday I finished watching The Great Escape for the first time and I loved it. Now I want to see more Steve McQueen movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I watched almost 100 more movies this year than last year. My last big year was 2017.

      Did you know that the soldier chasing McQueen on the motorcycle was... McQueen? They couldn’t find any German stunt drivers good enough so he did it himself lol. I highly recommend The Thomas Crown Affair. I watched The Towering Inferno a couple weeks ago and he was good in that too. One of my favorite movies is The War Lover, which was the first McQueen movie I ever saw, but his character isn’t very nice so I didn’t like him for a long time.

      Delete
  4. Wow, impressive stats! I only keep track of "new" films and have no idea how many rewatches we see each year, but even so, I think my sister and I only saw about 110 new classics. I envy you watching all those Elvis films for the first time! And King Kong. There weren't any standout films that we saw this year, but some we will definitely revisit in the coming years: Goodbye My Fancy and The Last of Mrs. Cheney ( both Joan Crawford ), The Kentuckian, and Paper Tiger ( David Niven was good in that one ). On a side note, you guessed Mr. Limpet correctly from that years old Impossibly Difficult Name that Movie entry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow missed this comment! Will email you now :)

      I need to revisit Crawford’s Mrs. Cheney. I still haven’t seen The Kentuckian and I’ve never heard of Paper Tiger!

      Delete