Thursday, September 12, 2019

Movies I Watched in August

Image result for summer under the stars melvyn douglas

This is an embarrassingly short movie month. I’ve just been really into watching The Bob Newhart Show lately. There weren’t a ton of films I wanted to see on TCM this month, aside from Melvyn Douglas day, and a few of the movies I had starred never showed up on the app (I no longer have the option to dvr). I did finally watch The Sting!
  1. High, Wide and Handsome (1937) - Irene Dunne & Randolph Scott, Dorothy Lamour, Alan Hale
  2. The Shining Hour (1938) - Joan Crawford, Robert Young, Melvyn Douglas, Margaret Sullavan 
  3. There’s Always a Woman (1938) - Melvyn Douglas & Joan Blondell, Mary Astor
  4. Paradise for Three (1938) - Robert Young & Florence Rice, Frank Morgan, Mary Astor, Edna May Oliver, Reginald Owen, Sig Rumen 
  5. Our Wife (1941) - Ruth Hussey & Melvyn Douglas, Ellen Drew, Charles Coburn
  6. Return to Peyton Place (1961) - Carol Lynley, Jeff Chandler, Tuesday Weld, Mary Astor, Eleanor Parker 
  7. The Sting (1973) - Paul Newman & Robert Redford 
  8. Meet Joe Black (1998) - Brad Pitt, Anthony Hopkins, Claire Fornali
  9. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society (2018) - Lily James
  10. Mary Poppins Returns (2018) - Emily Blunt, Lin Manuel Miranda, Dick Van Dyke, Angela Lansbury, Colin Firth, Meryl Streep
Least Favorite Movie: I actually haven’t finished it yet but so far the Guernsey movie hasn’t done anything for me. 

Favorite Movie: Paradise for Three was really cute. I was also very pleased with Mary Poppins Returns. They did a good job. The only part I didn't like was Meryl Streep's. It felt unnecessary.

I just love vintage ski outfits!

6 comments:

  1. Mary Poppins Returns was so good! I want to see TGLaPPPS, but haven't had the opportunity yet. I didn't like The Sting when I first saw it, but I think if I rewatched it now I would.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The second half of Guernsey was better but there was still something about it... It's hard to find a movie made today set in WWII that I actually like.

      Delete
  2. You finally saw The Sting! I obsessed over the soundtrack when it was first released. I saw The Sting "at the movies" with my dad. The theater was packed and the audience loved it. It was quite the experience.

    As a Randolph Scott, and an Irene Dunne fan, I have been anxious to see High, Wide and Handsome for years. It is certainly an odd subject for a musical, isn't it? What were Jerome Kern and Oscar Hammerstein thinking. Nonetheless, it was a pleasure to hear The Folks Who Live on the Hill in its original setting and I found everything mesmerisingly beautiful because Rouben Mamoulian can't help himself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like an amazing experience! I would love to see more old films on the big screen.

      Delete
  3. Isn't "Paradise for Three" a little winner? My sister and I really enjoyed that one, too. We're going to make it annual winter viewing. You can't go wrong with that cast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched it again a few days later with my aunt because I wanted her to see it ;)

      Delete