Thursday, September 6, 2018

Movies I Watched in August


TCM's Summer Under the Stars was this month. On the "bigger" stars (Loy, Bacall, Gable, Crawford) I've usually already seen all but one or two of the films. This year there seemed to be a little more lesser-known films. I was excited about Dana Andrews, as I haven't seen a lot of his films despite liking the few films I have seen, and Miriam Hopkins. My surprise "discovery" was Virginia Mayo. There was also some great Clark Gable films (I haven't watched the Joan Crawford movies yet but they expire on the WatchTCM app tomorrow and I dvr'd a couple). And although Joel McCrea didn't have his own day he featured in several films.
  1. Trouble in Paradise (1932) - Herbert Marshall, Kay Francis, Miriam Hopkins
  2. Secret of the Blue Room (1933) - Lionel Atwill, Gloria Stuart, Paul Lukas, Edward Arnold
  3. Roberta (1935) - Randolph Scott & Irene Dunne, Fred Astaire & Ginger Rogers
  4. Splendor (1935) - Miriam Hopkins & Joel McCrea, David Niven
  5. These Three (1936) - Miriam Hopkins, Merle Oberon, Joel McCrea, Bonita Granville
  6. Green Light (1937) - Errol Flynn & Anita Louise
  7. *Test Pilot (1938) - Clark Gable & Myrna Loy, Spencer Tracy
  8. It All Came True (1940) - Humphrey Bogart, Ann Sheridan, Jeffrey Lynn, Una O’Conner, Zasu Pitts
  9. Honeymoon for Three (1941) - George Brent & Ann Sheridan 
  10. Cairo (1942) - Jeanette MacDonald & Robert Young
  11. Night Song (1948) - Dana Andrews & Merle Oberon, Ethel Barrymore, Hoagy Carmichael
  12. The Girl from Jones Beach (1949) - Ronald Reagan & Virginia Mayo, Eddie Braken 
  13. Colorado Territory (1949) - Joel McCrea & Virginia Mayo, Dorothy Malone
  14. Any Number Can Play (1949) - Clark Gable & Alexis Smith, Audrey Totter
  15. Command Decision (1949) - Clark Gable, Walter Pidgeon, Van Johnson, Brian Donlevy, Charles Bickford, John Hodiak
  16. Adam & Evelyne (1949) - Stewart Granger & Jean Simmons
  17. Please Believe Me (1950) - Deborah Kerr, Robert Walker, Peter Lawford, Keenan Wynn
  18. Backfire (1950) - Gordon MacRae & Virginia Mayo, Viveca Lindfors, Dane Clark, Edmond O’Brien
  19. Double Dynamite (1951) - Frank Sinatra & Jane Russell, Groucho Marx
  20. Sealed Cargo (1951) - Dana Andrews, Claude Rains
  21. The First Traveling Saleslady (1956) - Ginger Rogers, Carol Channing, James Arness, Clint Eastwood
  22. South Pacific (1958) - Rossano Brazzi & Mitzi Gaynor, John Kerr, Juanita Hall
  23. *Three Men and a Baby (1987) - Tom Selleck, Ted Danson
  24. Like Father (2018 Netflix Original) - Kristen Bell, Kelsey Grammer, Seth Rogan 
Least Favorite Movie: Honeymoon for Three was rather tiresome, mainly because the role didn't suit George Brent at all. I loved Sheridan though!

Favorite Movie: Too many to choose one but I really liked Roberta, Night Song, Adam and Evelyne, Backfire, Double Dynamite, and South Pacific (I've been singing "Some Enchanted Evening" for DAYS! Send help). If you have Netflix Like Father was really good (someone just give Kelsey Grammer an Oscar already!).

Who was your favorite star during TCM's Summer Under the Stars? Did you discover a new star?


Keep your eyes peeled for a blogathon announcement!

3 comments:

  1. I'm with you on Honeymoon for Three, preferring the original: http://www.caftanwoman.com/2015/04/remake-alley-goodbye-again-1933-and.html

    Many favourite movies showed up on Summer Under the Stars, but I'm still waiting for a George Zucco day!

    I didn't care for Backfire when I saw it a few years ago. Maybe I'll have to give it another look one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ll have to keep an eye out for the original! I’ve only seen a couple of Zucco’s movies so a day for him would be great! I think Backfire was just so different than what I was expecting that it surprised me.

      Delete
  2. I only saw two movies for Summer Under the Stars this year! Both on the Judy Garland day. For Me and My Gal (I enjoyed it a lot), and The Pirate (I don't know what to think of that). I saw South Pacific when I was really young, and didn't like it, but I should give it another go.

    ReplyDelete