Sunday, March 11, 2018

Cinema Wedding Gowns: Wuthering Heights (1939)


Last month I watched Wuthering Heights (1939) for the first time (it was a tragic gothic romance kind of day) and was delighted to find that there was a wedding gown involved. Merle Oberon, who plays Cathy in the film, is getting married to Edgar Linton, played by David Niven. It's a doomed marriage as she really loves the penniless Heathcliff, played by the brooding Laurence Olivier. If it's one thing I've learned from the movies, it's to never marry for money if you love someone else. It usually ends in death.

 

Cathy's wedding dress has a full gathered skirt made of heavy satin. The short sleeve bodice has a soft v-neckline with a short attached shawl of lace, creating butterfly sleeves. A large bow adorns the front of the neckline.


A tulle veil is attached to a circlet of baby's breath. Short gloves and a small cross necklace complete the look.

In the promo shot on the right, Oberon is holding Calla lilies instead of the small bouquet shown in the film.
 

4 comments:

  1. The dress that dreams are made of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have only read the novel “Wuthering Heights” by Emily Brontë. I did not really like it. That is why I never watched the movie. Nonetheless, this wedding gown is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven’t read the book yet but from my understanding this version is the least faithful adaptation so maybe you’ll like it! I was surprised I liked it!

      Delete
  3. I might give it a go during the weekend then. :)

    ReplyDelete