Saturday, April 8, 2017

"Are you a Good Witch or a Bad Witch": The Annual Classic Quotes Blogathon


Movie Quotes. For some of us, especially Classic Movie Bloggers, they are a part of everyday life. Those of us who are movie fans can often summon up the perfect quote for any occasion. Not everyone may realize that it's a movie quote and they may even give you an odd look until you explain that it's from a movie. But we same them anyway and always feel a little proud of ourselves for integrating our love of film into a normal conversation (or what was normal until you opened your mouth).

Sometimes a quote has become so much a part of the culture that people say it without realizing what it's from. And sometimes it's just so quotable that people say it whether it goes with the conversation or not. This is the premise behind The Flapper Dames Annual Classic Quotes Blogathon, to celebrate and share these beloved and famous quotes.

The Wizard of Oz (1939) is endlessly quotable. Pretty much every time a storm is coming someone in my family begins to shout out "Dorothy! Dorothy!" as they put things away so they won't get wet or blown away. "I'll get you my pretty, and your little dog too" is another one that sometimes makes it into the conversation, or "There's no place like home" (which is of course more effective if you actually own a pair of ruby slippers).

Another quote from the film, while not normally used in a conversation, is still worth mentioning for a reason I will explain to you:

Are you a Good Witch? Or a Bad Witch?

We all remember this scene. Glinda, played to perfection by the one and only Billie Burke, comes floating down to Munchkinland in her pink bubble and, upon seeing Dorothy, asks her this question. To Dorothy the question makes no sense, but to Glinda it is the only question to ask, as there are no humans in Munchkinland.


After Dorothy replies that she's actually a girl and says that witches are old and ugly, Glinda tells her with a smile:

Only bad witches are ugly.

Didn't you just ask Dorothy if she was a good witch or a BAD witch???

She basically just called Dorothy ugly...

 
Be sure to check out all of the other posts on the
iconic quotes we all love from Classic Movies!

6 comments:

  1. OMG- I NEVER thought of Glinda's response in that manner- and this is of course a movie Ive loved for basically my whole life! Thanks so much for participating and giving me a new outlook on film dialogue that I've been quoting all my life! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I actually saw it somewhere else and was like OMG I never noticed that!!

      Thanks again for hosting :)

      Delete
  2. Ditto. I never thought of that either. I laughed out loud when I read this. I've always cracked up at the question, but never thought about the implications. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. Like everyone else I never realized that. I would be honored if you would submit to this week's The Classic Movie Marathon link party http://classicmovietreasures.com/the-classic-movie-marathon-link-party-3/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! Hilarious! I never thought of it that way. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete